TWENTY TWO

tysm for 2k :)
the story - conan gray 
Y/N POV

My jaw drops at what Luke just said. Never in a million years would I have ever thought Luke of all people would have a crush on me. Just a week ago he was head over heals in love with Ebony. None of this is making sense to me. For a while now he's made it seem like he hates me. The only thing that I can remember is Jade telling me that Luke was saying he missed me when I was in California with Noah. But still, I don't believe it.

"I-" I try to say, but Luke cuts me off.

"I'm sorry I've been so mean about everything, it's just that seeing you with Noah has been killing me. When I was with Ebony it was just to take my mind off of you. Y/n, I've liked you ever since sophomore year. And I know you don't have feelings for me or anything, you're obviously in love with Noah. It's just that I needed to tell you, that's all. And I don't want this to ruin our friendship. You and Jade are two of the most important people in my life and I can't lose you." Luke gushes out, looking all over the place. His cheeks burn and I can tell he's so nervous. 

"Luke.."

"No, don't, don't say anything. God, I just ruined everything. Um, maybe you should go?" He says standing up pacing around his room with his hands on the back of his head.

"But-" 

"Please, just go." Luke pleads, looking down at me.

"Okay." I whisper, walking up to him and hugging him. I don't want him to be in pain over this.

"Bye." I say only loud enough for him to barely hear me. 

I walk out of his room flustered and filled with all sorts of different emotions. Luke basically just confessed his love for me and I all I did was hug him? How am I so stupid? But at the same time I don't even know what I should have done. It just feels like everything is spinning. I don't want things to change between us, but I don't know how to not make things awkward. I just need to calm down and think through everything. As I walk down the stairs, Mrs. Phillips catches me and stares at me questionably. 

"Is everything alright?" She asks.

"Mhm, everything's fine. I just have to get home, that's all." I reply with a smile.

"Okay, drive safe." She says before walking away and letting me finally leave. 

When I get outside I run to my car but look up to the window where Luke's window is. His curtains are drawn and I could just barely see inside, but I could see him standing with his back to the window. I probably look like a creep, but I need to know he's okay. Instead of going back inside, I get in my car and begin to drive through his neighborhood. None of this would've happened if I had just told the truth to begin with, but things might be even worse if I did. 

I just don't know what to do.

*****

All I've been doing tonight is pace around my room. I need to talk to Jade and ask her what to do, but I'm worried that'll somehow end up in me telling her everything. That's not the worst idea, but I don't think I'm ready to do that. Everything about what's happening is just so stressful. Ms. Leroy would be in a fit if she knew what was happening right now. A ringing noise comes from my backpack, which must be my phone.

"Jade?" I ask, picking it up.

"Y/n, what's happening to Luke?" Jade says.

"What do you mean?" I ask confused.

"He just called me crying about something, but I can barely make out anything he's saying." Jade tells me.

"Oh my god." I say, sliding down on my floor and bringing my knees to my chest.

"Did something happen?" 

"Um, yeah, kind of. Are you home?"

"Yes?" Jade says questioningly.

"Okay, I'm coming over." I say and hang up before she can say anything. Jade lives next door so all I have to do is just walk over. Dad and I already ate, but I'm sure he'll let me go. As I walk out the door, I see Jade standing in her driveway in a hoodie and leggings.

"What the heck!" She yells putting her arms up in the air. I jog over and stand in front of her.

"I just needed to explain everything in person." I reply.

"Okay, do it." She says smiling. She has no idea what I'm about to say and I'm sure she's going to be just as shocked as I was.

"So, I went over to Luke's earlier and he told me he's had feelings for me ever since sophomore year. I didn't know what to say and he just got so flustered and he decided I should leave. Things were really awkward and I feel so bad." I spill.

"Ohh, I already knew that, so that must be why he's crying." Jade says calmly.

"What? You already knew?" I ask shocked.

"Yeah, I guessed it last year and asked him and he told me."

"Oh, I thought it was a secret or something." I say.

"It is, I'm the only one that knows. Did you say something to make him cry?"

"No." I reply.

"Well you should talk to him." Jade tells me.

"What would I even say?" 

"Date him, Y/n. You two have been so close for years and he obviously likes you." Jade says.

At that moment I knew everything was about to come crashing down. This was it, I have to tell her. How am I going to explain to her how I can't date Luke without having to tell her everything? I can't. My stomach is in knots as I stand there in silence trying to figure out how I'm going to word this.

"I can't." Is all I can muster up.

"But why? You keep telling me that but there are no good reason not to." Jade says, getting more annoyed.

"Because I'm dating Noah, I can't just break up with him!" I say.

"It's fake, yes you can." Jade argues. I can't believe we're fighting about this.

"Jade, listen to me, I can't leave Noah." I say sternly trying to get my point across.

"By why!" She yells.

"Because I'm his girlfriend, his real girlfriend!" I scream back.

"What?" She says quietly.

"I-" I try to say but stop. We stand there quietly looking at each other in shock. I can't believe this is happening. Jade looks back up at me before turning around and going to her car. I stand, trying to see what she's going to do. She motions for me to follow her, so I walk over to her and we both get in her car.

"You lied to me." She says.

"Yeah, I did, but I am so, so sorry. I never meant for it to go on this long and I never meant to actually fall in love." I say. 

"So you do love him?" Jade asks, staring straight forward.

"Yes." I quietly say.

"Get out." 

"What?"

"I said get out."

"Jade-"

"Get out, now." She demands and instead of fighting, I give in and open the car door, stepping out. 

a/n -

☕️

<3 lilia