Chapter: Only

She met him standing in the rain, waiting for her.

It wasn’t romantic. There was no sexy, wet hair moment and no shirt plastered- to- abs scenario. He was annoyed because she was late, and she was just trying to keep her seats dry.

“Sorry. Sorry.”  Dana tried to keep up a steady stream of conversation as she spread clear plastic on the back seat. He sighed, dropping his head forward. He was already soaked through to the skin.  

“Okay, that should do it.  Sorry to keep you waiting. The traffic is horrible. It’s like people forget how to drive when it’s wet out.”

Dana kept up her endless words as her passenger got into the back of her Jeep Compass.  She cranked the heat all the way up and smiled at him in the rear-view mirror.

“No way!” Her mind screamed the loudest fan-girl yell as her eyes snapped back to the road.

Jong Jonghyun was sitting in her car. She was ubering her ult!!! 

As she made her way into the flow of traffic, she tried to calm down.  Maybe, he was just a random asian man, who bore a striking resemblance to Jjong. She tried to convince herself the man sitting in the back of her car wasn’t him, but she was already so sure he was.

Black hair, super pretty eyes, not too much taller than her, really good build. Her fan radar was sounding off at 100. 

She knew what the back of his neck looked like, in a fuzzy photo, taken in a crowded airport, at a distance.  Slowly, she reached out and cranked the back heat up a little higher. She could not be the reason he caught cold.

“Are you over it?” He mid-range, honey thick voice slid up to the front. She was pretty sure the rain water was about to start steaming off of her head and clothes.

“Not yet.” He smiled, flashing his perfect teeth. She sighed, and made herself focus on the road ahead.

Be yourself. She had a plan for this. Every fangirl needed a plan for just in case you actually meet your idol. Grocery store, public event, fan-meet, every occasion as a different plan. 

“Just tell me when.” Another perfect smile lit up her back seat. Thankfully, he turned his attention to the traffic and weather happening outside his window and Dana’s heart was able to return to it’s task of keeping her alive.

“Okay. Please tell me where you are headed.” Be professional. She settled into her seat.  This was going to be his best ride ever. Somewhere in her mind, her hard stan chuckled.

“The airport. I have a flight to catch. I’m technically late, but I’ve already adjusted my ticket.” He watched her nod, then check the traffic around them.  Her eyes were always moving, only periodically landing on him. She was doing well.

Sitting wet, but warm in the back seat, Jonghyun couldn’t tell what her nationality was, only that it was African mixed with something.  Her breaids were pulled into a ponytail that reached her mid-back and had those pretty gold rings and bands clipped throughout. She was as soaked as he was and was also sitting on plastic.

“Are you going to be gone for long?” It was a question any driver would ask. Not invasive, just generic info.

“About two weeks.”

“Business or pleasure?” Another standard question, but her eyes did not meet his and she shook her head a little after she asked. Her eyes darted around again.

“I’m hoping to run into a little of both.” He held her light brown gaze as her eyes snapped back to his in the rear-view.  

He had a straight face. No smile, nothing given away. Then he raised one eyebrow. Dana broke eye contact first. She coughed a little, turned down the heat and fanned her face as she looked out of her window. She couldn’t look away for long, her hard stan was fully awake.

Jonghyun knew he was enjoying her reactions a little too much. The fact that she thought she was hiding them, made it all the more humorous. 

“Green light.”

“Sorry…

Their conversation fell off after that exchange, only to pick back up periodically for passenger/driver, non-committal, everyday quips.  Finally arriving at the airport, Dana stopped in the Drop-Off zone and jumped out the open his door.

“Do you need a cart?” She started toward the cart vending stall. 

“Can I call you when I get back?”

Both questions were asked simultaneously. Both stopped.

Jonghyun smiled, adjusting his backpack on his shoulders and pulled her card from his front pocket.

“Can I reach you at this number...for a ride...when I get back?”

“Yes. That’s fine...wait.” Dana took the card from his and a pen from her pocket. 

“This is my direct line.” She handed it back, her hands were shaking.

“Thanks. Ill call you when I land.”

“Don’t play!” She was sure she had said it in her mind.  Her mind, that was currently flipping through her WattPad reading list even while she tried to reign it in.

“I’m not playing at all.  Calling you back is easier than trying to find another fan, who is also an Uber driver, who is also, by her own declaration...not saesang.” 

Dana had slapped her hands over her mouth as soon as he started talking, and now spoke from behind them.

“You know I am a fan?”

Jjong grinned, but did not answer her question as he loaded his luggage on the the cart, an airport employee had brought over.

“How did you know I am a fan?” She needed to know.

“Dana Emelia Cassidy, Linked-In. D.E.Cassidy, Driver, Uber app. D.E.C 525 Facebook…” He paused and laughed as he hitched his cross body bag.

“Please, no.” Dana shook her head, knowing what was coming and dreading it. The implications were amazing and very scary. Fangirl amazing, and fanfiction scary.

“Oh yeah. BlingsQueen52508...5 diamonds, 1 heart and a kiss…” 

“Shit.” She looked away and blinked at the crowd as they walked past.

“Bye, Dana.” He turned to and walked away, his chuckle lingering behind, teasing her.

“Bye, Jonghyun.” Her heart skipped when she said it.

“I’ll see you in two weeks.” He waved with one hand as he pushed the luggage laden cart and disappeared into the terminal.

Dana slid behind her wheel. The plastic she had laid to protect her aqua and black seat covers was still in place. Her aqua, sequined steering wheel slip was a little damp, but not damaged. The puff and diamond on her keys matched everything else and her car and her life. Her Shawol colors had never embarrassed her. Even now, she was proud to display them.

“Oh crap!” Dana picked her phone up from beside her. “I’ve got to clean up my account.”