Chapter 1: The Engagement

The sound of the waltz and people chattering is faintly heard at the palace garden. There I sat Reading my favorite book, it was given to me by my nanny. As I read the next paragraph I heard a faint voice calling my name and as I looked over there my nanny, Laura, stood looking.

"Celeste, it's time you get ready you don't want to keep your guests waiting." she beckoned me.

"Laura, can I please just finish this chapter?" I begged, looking at her with my innocent face.

"Oh, No! Don't give me that look." Laura pulled me off my seat, "your father will be upset if you're late! Now lets go dear." she then dragged me up to my room.

* * * * * * * * * *

"Ow! not so tight please!" I yelped at the pain I'm to endure.

"So sorry your Highness." Ingen, one of my ladies in waiting and my most trusted friend, whispered apologetically.

"Dear, you do know a loose corset is not going to look good." Laura frowned.

"I know, but it's just too tight." I complained.

"Celeste, you know very well that a princess must not complain at her smallest misfortune," Laura scolded, "for it is a known fact that a princess has only one thing to do and that it is to do what is best for the kingdom without complain because others are less fortunate than her."

"Yes, Laura, I know and I'm sorry." I apologized.

It has been a year since the queen, my mother, died. The whole kingdom was disraught and my father fell ill afterwards. That moment on my father has been inviting princes from all over the world for me to meet and I guess my father hoped that I would fall for one of the princes. But after many months of meet and greats I wasn't able to fall in love like he and everyone else wanted. So my father decided to choose one for me. I had no choice but to comply even though it goes against what I believed in, it was for the good of my family and our kingdom.

The thought, of having to marry someone my father chose for me, frieghtend me. What does he look like? Will I like him or hate him? How old is he? Wh-what if he's younger than me? or worst he is... an old man?! I shook the thought from my head, because I know there is no turning back.

* * * * * * * * * *

 I walked down the stairs heart beat rising... how can I agree to this?!... I panic, but I don't show it... I have to relax. All eyes are on me as I decended the stairs, and a pair from those belonged to the one who will be myt soon to be husband.