i

I scuff my boots against the rocky ground, bored out of my damn mind. My assignment this week must be one of the most pointless in border patrol history. This sector is of no importance whatsoever, a lonely stretch of granite and pine trees. But due to its proximity to Davidson's estate, it has to be patrolled.

The day is overcast but chilly, and I huddle in my thin uniform. Gray clouds scud the light sky. Fall is bearing down on Montfort: according to Carmadon, we have about two weeks before the first snows hit Ascendant.

My ability forms a protective shield around me, searching for the steel of raider weapons. As usual, there is nothing. The Prairie raids have slowed since Montfort troops withdrew from the Dancing War and border security tightened. But I haven't lived this long—twenty-five years, now—by being complacent.

The edge of the cliff looms before me: six inches of granite are all that stand between me and the hundred foot drop. I peer over the edge anyway, a cursory glance to check for raiders, who have been known to scale the cliffs. None. Obviously. I straighten up again and pace back towards the Hawkway, the road that runs from Ascendant in the mountains all the way down to the plains.

I switch on my wireless, a broadcaster that taps into the same signal as the other patrol units. "Sector E-1 is clear."

Static. I wait for the standard response from the rest of my unit, but nothing comes.

"I repeat, Sector E-1 is clear." My voice rings out in the silence, echoing off the mountainsides and into the wilderness.

Still nothing. I switch the wireless off and then on again. No change. The device feels the same as ever, even to my ability: all the inner workings are fine, so it isn't a mechanical issue.

A sense of unease rises inside me. In my five years on border patrol, I've never lost connection like this. Something is wrong.

There's another, smaller, wireless hanging from my belt. A direct line to Elane and the Premier's office. She made me take it in case of an emergency. I switch it on, just in case.

Her voice comes through the other end immediately. "Eve? Is everything alright?" There are other sounds in the background: shuffling paper and people talking in lowered voices. I'm guessing she's sitting in one of Davidson's meetings.

"I've lost contact with everyone else in my unit," I say. Even as I talk, my eyes scan back and forth along the tree line, watching for potential danger. There's no sign of metal, no sign of movement. But that doesn't mean there isn't anyone waiting, just out of sight. "I'm keeping this line open just in case. Is that alright?"

"Yeah. Stay safe. I love you."

"Love you too."

I hook the wireless back onto my belt and continue pacing, but farther away from the ledge. If I have to fight, I'd rather not do it backed against a cliff.

A minute passes. Then five, then ten. I'm about to call it a false alarm when I hear a sound like muted thunder in the distance.

Then it draws closer, and I realize it isn't thundering.

It's hoofbeats.

~~~

"Love you too."

I smile briefly at Eve's voice on the other end before setting the device on the table. On my right, Lyrisa glances at me, a question in her eyes.

"Everything's fine," I say, even as worry snakes its way through my heart. "Apologies for the disruption."

"Nothing to worry about, Elane," Davidson says from across the table. "If you need to be excused, or anything else at all, let me know." His expression is worried, tense. I used to think the premier was immovable, his restraint unbreakable. After five years, I know better—he can be read like anyone else, if you know him well enough.