Chapter 1

*Ring Ring, Ring Ring, Ring Ring!*

Groaning, I reached over searching for my phone, while knocking something over. “Heller?” I mumbled, barely able to say a proper hello. “I figured you would be asleep. Class is going to start in 30 minutes! Get here!” I jumped out of bed, hitting my foot on my nightstand. “I’ll be right there, Aaroosa!” I hung up and went straight to the bathroom. My day always began with my morning piss. It equals the best feeling. I washed my hands, brushed my teeth, and washed my face. After all that jizz, I ran back to my room to get changed. I grabbed a pair of my favorite jeans, underwear, a sports bra, and one of my Northface sweatshirts. After changing, I applied my makeup which consisted of foundation and eyeliner- two of my best friends. I grabbed my backpack, phone, headphones, and went directly to the kitchen where Nicole was waiting for me.

Let me tell you a little bit about Nicole and while I’m at it about me too. Nicole has been my best friend since the fourth grade. We always dreamed about growing up and moving to London to study. We’re originally from Virginia, USA. Once we graduated high school, we got to do a semester abroad which turned into a year abroad. We ended up loving it here and convinced our university, with our grades, to let us stay here and graduate. Nicole is studying criminal justice. I, Nikki, am studying biology. My parents really want me to be a doctor so that’s where I’m headed. It’s that stereotypical situation. Indian parents want their daughter to be a doctor. Who figured? I didn’t fight against my parents when they said I had to be a doctor, I want to be one. I do everything I do for me. I’m not sure if that’s selfish or not, but whatever. So here I am in London, in my fourth year of university, studying biology. I’m 20 years old, living with my best friend, with our dog named Loki. Now, back to the kitchen part.

“You’re finally wake, Nikki!” I glared at her, “thanks for waking me up, Nicole. My best friend who I’ve known for years,” I faked a smile at her while she laughed. “Go or you’ll be late!” I ran out the door and straight to my class. Lucky for me, my building was near my flat. I made right on time and let out a sigh. I walked to the seats and sat next to my close friend, Aaroosa Malik. Many of you might know her. Aaroosa is the cousin of world famous pop boy band singer, Zayn Malik. When I was in high school, I loved him. As I got older, however, I started to think less of him. Call me a bad fan, but now I can say I don’t like him. “Couldn’t you dress up or something? You look like you made no effort. After all it is the first day back,” Aaroosa said. “Dressing up on the first day of school is so high school. We’re in Uni. We don’t have to make an effort,” I replied putting my head down on my desk. I wanted to go back to sleep. “What were you doing last night anyway?” I picked my head up to look at her. “I was studying.” “For what?” “The MCAT.” “You don’t have to take it though.” “I know but I still wanted to see. I know nothing that was in the book. What if I make a bad doctor?” “Trust me when I say this. You know more than any of the people sitting in this classroom or even in this school. I’m sure you will make a good-no excellent doctor. You need to stop worrying so much.” I looked at her. She had this smug smile on her face, knowing she made me feel better. “Thanks, Aaroosa. I knew all you were dumb anyway.” She huffed in response causing me chuckle lightly. The rest of the lecture and classes dragged on. Luckily Aaroosa was in every single one of my classes so they sucked a little less.

By 9:00, our last class had ended. Aaroosa and I were walking back to the flat area when she asked me a question. “Hey, Eid is coming up and like always, my family is having a party. I was wondering if you and Nicole would want to come. It would be nice for Nicole to come and spend some time with us, since she can’t be with her family at this time,” Aaroosa asked with so much hope that I just couldn’t say no. “Of course! We’ll be there! It won’t hurt anybody,” I said with a smile. “Great! I’ll text you on Thursday because Friday is Eid. Then the three of us can drive down together, cool?” “Cool. I’ll see then.” “Yup! Bye Nikki” “Bye Aaroosa!” We walked off into separate directions into the night. I was looking forward to the party. Nothing could go wrong, right?