Prologue

Arachni's POV

Her mother was staring down at her, a sneer of disapproval on her face. "If you want to succeed, darling" she spat out the word, "you have to be ruthless, you have to know what's best for you, no-one else matters, you have to be like me, it's smarter, to not have to care about friends or family or your useless daughter. It's better if you're my apprentice and not my child".

Arachni looked up at her mother, taking in her features, the one thing they had in common, they both had light green eyes and dark brown hair, and Arachnid's mother hated that. Trying to stay still and quiet, she battled down her fear. She had to be cruel and ruthless. She would kill people if it meant making her mother proud. And that was what she had to do. She had to make her mother love her.

Isabella's POV

980 years later

Isabella felt the headache before she was awake, it nagged at her insides until she couldn't play dead much longer, and she silently cursed the Autumn leaves that had made her lose her grip. Ignoring the dampness of her rained-on coat,  she sat up and grinned at the woman in front of her, leaning her back against the oak tree she had fallen from, "Mother!" she cried. The word felt wrong on her tongue, as if the name didn't match who the woman was to her, though she knew the idea was ridiculous. Of course this woman was her mother! They shared the same brown hair, dark skin, and green eyes, not to mention the many years' worth of memories they shared! 

She heard her mother's voice, "Darling," she rasped. "I was so worried about you!"

Together, they walked across the empty field, back to their house, where Isabella's mother tucked her in to bed and bid her goodnight. They lived in peace for a long time.

Until everything fell.