-𝐁𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲-

Jervis Tetch.. most people within the small town of Gotham know him as the Mad Hatter. Of course, as every cliche story includes, he has a slightly gruesome backstory.

Alice, his sister, has been the one thing he could show true affection for. His parents weren't there to show love to him. They were murdered right in front of his eyes at an extremely young age. His mother was held at gunpoint, crying out helplessly until the trigger was pulled. All she wanted was for the masked men to put her husband down. The men were there for his father, but once they saw he was accompanied by his wife.. they had no choice but to remove the witness. He was robbed of evidence stolen from Gotham's police database, and when they got what they wanted, they twisted his neck to the point of internal decapitation..

             "crack.."

Jervis loved throwing tea parties with Alice, he loved playing imaginary games with her.. he loved her, more than anything. It was an indescribable brother-sister bond.. not in a perverse way, of course. As Tetch grew up, though, he started gaining slightly maniacal tendencies, and it was getting to be enough for poor little Alice.

He once chained her to a chair, lighting a fire around her feet that slowly climbed up the lace hem of her dress.. it left major burns on her feet and calves, though he put it out before it got too far. He eventually got more extreme with her, and would hypnotize her. His little hypnosis sessions would include times where he sliced open body parts just to stitch them back together.. with no anesthesia. She was left with no choice but to scream in agony at the burning pain he would cause. He often poisoned her drink, but there was not enough to kill. It was only enough to make her severely ill. She was left in an endless loop of torture.. from her own brother. The same brother that loved her dearly. What happened to poor Mr. Tetch?

As the days of suffering went on, Alice decided she couldn't take it anymore. She made sure she grabbed Jervis' full attention that day. She ran to a building she knew was high enough to jump from. Jervis would not hurt her this time. She was finally free.

He still remembers the sound of her skin being ripped through while crushing down over the metal pole. He remembers the sight of her limp body hanging, blood rushing down the shiny metal. Not her too.. He was finally left on his own..

           ——————————————————       
After the unfortunate death of Alice Tetch, Jervis was forced to lead his own life now. He had no one to talk to, so he had no other choice but to force the torture upon innocent citizens of Gotham.

"Jervis- put.. the gun.. down," Gordon demanded, lightly gesturing for him to drop the weapon on the ground.

"Oh Jim.. you know I can't do that," Jervis smiled widely and chuckled a bit to himself. "You know I don't give up that easily.." He aimed the gun right at Gordon's head and shrugged lightly. They were standing at least 10 feet apart in a dark alleyway. Jervis had been backed into an outside corner where two buildings met, and he had no way to run. All he could do now was shoot.

"Jervis.. I just need to talk. It's about Alice," Gordon's eyes widened as Jervis rose the gun. "I have a few questions concerning you."

"Jim, I've been over this a thousand times with you and your men.. I didn't do anything to influence her! It was purely her idea!" He hissed loudly and stomped his foot. His eyes were now glaring right through Gordon, sharper than ever. He has never been so annoyed with the ideas of someone. "How about this.. I'll give you to the count of 3.. and your options are run.. or," Jervis giggled softly while a smirk crawled across his face, "I shoot you. Which one will it be Jimbo?"

Jim's body stiffened.. he didn't know whether or not Jervis would actually do it.

"One.." Jervis' smirk went away as he clenched his teeth together.

Jim stayed frozen in place, his mind sent through an overload of panic.

"Two.." Jervis cocked the gun, shaking his head and laughing lowly.

Jim closed his eyes tightly, his body stiffening even more. It was as if he was paralyzed now.

"Three!" Jervis slightly moved the gun and aimed it at Jim's lower torso, shooting and sprinting past him. "Away I run, out of sight.. for I'll never tell what happened that night! You'll ask and ask, and ask some more.. it wasn't me, you'll see I swore!" Jervis ran away while holding tight onto his top hat, laughing uncontrollably at Gordon's mere attempt to stop him.

"I don't have time for your stupid rhymes Jervis.. I'll get to you some how!" Jim yelled just barely loud enough for Jervis to hear. He was out of breath, slowly losing consciousness as he had just been shot and was losing a lot of blood. Luckily, his men were standing nearby and they were able to call an ambulance.

/// I'm sorry for this being as short as it is, it's just the backstory explaining (for the future) why Jervis is how he is. I promise the future chapters will be much longer, and a lot easier to understand. They will also be relevant to the title, description, and tags a lot more. This chapter was just to let you guys know some information about the main character. I'll be introducing more characters, and the actual use and idea of his pocket watch in the next chapter.///