~Time and Tide~

~Time and Tide~

The afternoon breeze blew in gently from the open window as Elysia wrote, her pen scratching on paper. It was quiet, peaceful. A perfect place to work. A perfect place to remember. But not a time to feel grief, the girl reminded herself sadly, even as her silvery-blue eyes began to burn.

Tree leaves rustled, birds chirped brightly, autumn colours splashed across the canvas that was nature.

Dear friend,

Where have you gone to?

Have you left me behind here-

To live without you?

Elysia rapidly blinked back the tears clouding her vision, looking up through the window at the birds taking flight in the autumn sky and smiling sadly. "He wouldn't want me to cry," she murmured, watching as a leaf drifted onto her desk. "But I promised not to forget either." The only sound remaining were the echoes of cawing crows as they spread their wings and the effects of the breeze. The scent of leaf and wood didn't help the sense of nostalgia and sadness, but for once, she embraced it.

How are you?

Please leave me here alone no longer-

Why have you gone

And left me in tears?

She turned back to the pages thrown haphazardly on the wooden table. Half of them were already overturned and flapping about in the breeze, despite the heavy volumes piles atop them. The same seemed to have taken effect on the girl's long, silver-blonde hair. "Guess I'll just reorganize then." Another trait she'd learnt from him... there was no way she'd have put in so much effort before... "I ought to stop this."

Stay here-

Why must you go now?

Have you forgotten our story together-

Together, as one?

Elysia stood, setting down the pen and walked to the window, gazing at the huge tree in the exterior. "I know you aren't there anymore. I know I can't talk to you anymore... but... Thank you." She swallowed. The words always either poured out or were only stuck inside as a maelstrom of emotion. "How... are you? Where are you? Why did you have to leave... Ah- that's just selfish of me. I'm sorry, Calix. About who I've become now..."

Weaker.

Sadder.

Drowning.

I've tried so hard-

Trying to live here,

Drowning

Drowning in my wish for you to return

Elysia turned away, hating the tears that she knew where falling, staining the ground dark, turning it wet.

I cannot stop remembering

Remembering the times

Times we were together,

Carefree and free.

"Now I'm just being stupid," Elysia told herself firmly. But it was autumn, and autumn meant remembering when they'd first met.

Everyday I wish

For you to come back

Come back to me.