prologue

tom nook is a raccoon who is always down for doing business with clients. he has sold multiple houses, built shabby tents, and collected lots of bells.

in previous towns, tom has set up a shop named "nook's homes". he would help new residents build the right home for them, and collected payments when deemed necessary. at the start of this business, only about five villagers were set up and were requesting work with the only raccoon whose job was to give them a comforting home. his business then boomed to many villagers needing his assistance at one time.

once the mayor came to town after tortimer retired, tom continued to help several villagers. his nephews, timmy and tommy, started their own small business in the "nookling junction", which sold anything from fishing poles to fortune cookies. he loved his nephews and helped them keep a good productive business.

over the years, tom had made many friends, including isabelle, the able sisters, blathers, leif, reese, and kapp'n. however, one villager was tom's best friends. his name was redd. they were like platonic soulmates. they laughed together, ate apples under trees together, and most importantly, helped each other when problems rose...and sometimes problems arose between them.

like tom, redd was avid in business. ever since he was a cub, he wold create works of art to sell to his friends and family. as he grew older, his love of art grew, but so did his greed. redd had been caught many times for selling fake artwork to patrons, and as a result he would be fined and kicked away from any village that would be suitable to make a profit.

tom and redd knew each other back in the day of just starting a new business. tom had his love for selling homes and making a profit, and redd had his love for artwork. however, as close as they were as friends, they were not kind in business. when tom found out that redd would sell fake artwork, it angered him because he knew it wasn't right.

"and you think it's right to sell overpriced homes when it takes a day to build them? why do you think villagers move away in and out of town? it's because they want to live somewhere where their house isn't made from wood scraps and brick," redd would say.

"it is not only bad enough that you copy others' artwork, but you sell it at way too high of a price when the artwork isn't able to be given away or donated because it is fake. our friend blathers doesn't like fake art, and you know it. you just want to rip innocent customers off," tom would reply.

as their business worlds grew in competition, their friendship ultimately faded. tom was upset that their friendship had to end that way, but he knew he couldn't be worried about artwork scams when he had clients to take care of.

tom nook eventually moved away from town life and came across a deserted island. he packed his things along with timmy and tommy, and he set the first flight to this new land. timmy and tommy didn't exactly know why tom had decided to switch his location for business so quickly. once this was done, it created the nook getaway package. tom had successfully found a way to create new business without the need of a fox to cause trouble.

tom eventually got his other colleagues to move as well: isabelle came to town hall, the able sisters opened a shop, leif sold saplings, blathers opened a museum, and timmy and tommy got to open "nook's cranny".

eventually, tom recruited a resident representative to take care of the island, while he stayed behind the counter as a construction consultant. villagers started to migrate toward the island. all was well, and tom was satisfied. he had created a new place for business to benefit everyone. it was paradise until that one fateful day... the day where an unexpected visitor had joined their small society.