Prologue

It was a silent night, with only the sound of bugs buzzing in the air. The moon cast its ethereal glow over the tops of the trees, while a gentle breeze whispered through the leaves. Two guards stood watch atop the tower, their duty clear but their spirits restless.

"This is so boring," one guard complained, leaning against the tower's wall.

"Quiet down. It's our duty to keep watch and ensure the safety of the lord's land from any potential threats," the other guard replied sternly, peering out into the dark forest.

"I didn't sign up for this," the first guard grumbled, frustration evident in his voice. "I wanted to be on the frontline, not stuck on guard duty."

The second guard shot him a disapproving look. "You know as well as I do that the king's word is law, even if it means we don't always get the positions we desire."

"Pff, you're just happy following every rule in the book, Jole," the first guard retorted rudely. "But I aspire to be more than just a lousy watch guard."

Jole's expression turned stern. "That's no way to speak to your commanding officer, Gruff," he said sharply.

Rolling his eyes, Gruff was about to retort when Jole suddenly fell silent, collapsing to the ground with an arrow protruding from the back of his head. Blood pooled around him, staining the wood crimson.

Gruff stared in horror at his fallen comrade, unable to comprehend the sudden turn of events. Before he could react, a voice spoke from above, sending shivers down his spine.

"I suggest you stay quiet," the voice commanded, and Gruff looked up to see a figure cloaked in black, perched on the window frame above him, a crossbow trained on his face. "Or you'll end up like your friend."

Fear gripped Gruff's heart as he struggled to find his voice. "W-what do you want?" he managed to stammer.

"What I want is for you to inform your king that the East coast has fallen to Lord Edric of Nava," the assassin declared, descending from the window frame. "That's if you can make it back."

"What do you mean, if I can make it back?" Gruff asked, his voice trembling.

The assassin chuckled darkly. "It means you might make it back to your kingdom, but you're more likely to get killed trying."

As Gruff reached for his sword, the assassin's laughter grew more menacing. "Doing stupid shit like that is what will get you killed before you can even start your journey back."

Gruff recoiled, his hand falling away from the sword hilt as the assassin aimed the crossbow at his head once more. "Now," the assassin's voice was cold and unwavering, "you better get going before it's too late."