Lesson 1

🌼Sûrah An-Noor is the surah of the Muslim family; it covers all the rulings of the family

🌼'Umar ibn AlKhattâb advised the believers to teach their women Sûrah An-Noor.

🌼It covers the issues of lowering the gaze, seeking permission to enter a house or bedroom, covering the 'awrah, the timings one should not enter upon people, and the hadd punishments for fornication.

🌼The unmarried fornicator will be flogged 100 strikes and then banished or jailed for a year, and as for the one who is married (mature, free, and of sound mind) the prescribed punishment is stoning-the prescribed punishments are actually a mercy for the believers, for they expiate the sin.

🌼Those who believe should not be hesitant to carry out the punishments decreed by Allâh (A/N: Punishments can only be carried out by government officials, not individuals); and a number of the believers should stand in witness of the punishment so that the one being punished knows the seriousness of the crime and those who watch it will be discouraged from the act.

🌼The punishment for zinâ is only applicable if the evidence is clear, when seen by four male witnesses or the unmarried woman becomes pregnant-unless it is a case of a forced attack-or claimed by the guilty one; the punishment for zinâ is for those known to be chaste, not for those known for zinâ.

🌼It is not permissible for the believer to marry a fornicator or the one who commits shirk, and if one does so, the marriage contract is invalid and he or she becomes a fornicator.

🌼One cannot accuse another of zinâ without solid proof; he must bring forth four witnesses, and if he cannot, it is considered to be a lie and his punishment will be 80 strikes and his witness will not be accepted again till his death, except for if he repents.

(Lessons from Tafseer Sûrah An-Noor, taught by Ahmad ibn Muhammad AlBuraydî)