Oneshot #1

Sophie settled next to her window, wrapped tightly in her snug comforters as she watched the sun's bright orange rays shyly peek out from behind the horizon. Her face was almost pressed against the window, puffs of condensation appearing and disappearing slowly with every breath. She leaned back against her enormous mess of soft blankets and fluffy pillows, allowing herself to sink into them with pure bliss dancing through her eyes.

Fitz Vacker was her boyfriend. Fitz Vacker was her boyfriend.

It never got old.

Between the Neverseen's threat constantly looming over her, the fear for Luna and Wynn's safety, her biological parents, and the horrible feeling of her life just standing there, waiting for the bombs to fall, Fitz with his warm teal eyes, his handsome smile, his perfect jawline, his good-looking hair was there for her. He'd promised he'd be there for her.

No matter what.

A strong scent of freshly made mallowmelts wafted into her room, snapping her out of her reverie. She ran her fingers through her tangled hair, turning away from the rising sun to find Edaline standing at her door, holding a plate of the delicacies.

"You're awake," she said with a warm smile. She snapped her fingers and the plate of mallowmelt disappeared.

"Hey!" Sophie exclaimed, staring in indignant shock at the empty space where the mallowmelt was. Edaline made her way to her, placing a delicate hand on her shoulder. "Breakfast is ready, if you're hungry. You can have the mallowmelt after you get out of this pillow pile."

Sophie smiled up at her adoptive mother as best she could without letting her mind stray to dreadful fears that lurked in the shadows.

Nothing was wrong. Everything was perfect.

Nothing was wrong.

Right?

After a peaceful moment, Edaline's hand slipped away. She'd only just made it to the door before she said, "Oh, and Fitz is waiting," before vanishing down the stairs.

Sophie sprang out of her huge make-shift bed next to her windows, nearly sending Iggy's cage sailing into the floor. Iggy squeaked, ruffling his ice-blue fur (compliments to Ro for the color). By the time the imp calmed, curling his wings back, Sophie was ready. She dashed past Sandor, down the wide staircase, ready to start the day with Fitz right beside her.

"Waoh!" he said, almost falling backwards as Sophie threw her arms around him. He gave her a grin fit for a superstar, a smile meant only for her. Her heart gave a familiar flutter, and the way his arms were around him, she could've sworn she was flying.

"Hey, Sophie," his deep accented voice greeted.

Sophie pulled back abruptly, ducking her head to hide behind her hair. Warmth spread up her neck, quickly making its way to her face. "Um—what brought you here?"

Fitz reached up and tilted her head towards him, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. "I can't see my girlfriend?"

Girlfriend.

Sophie let the word drift around in her mind, echoing off every thought she'd ever had. A shiver ran up her spine as she couldn't help but think that's me. A dreamy smile played upon her lips, and she smiled.

Fitz took her hand and led her away as she pleaded her palms not to sweat in his warmth.

"Where are you going?" Sandor called. Grizel smacked him.

"Just outside," Sophie replied. "Stay here."

"You're my charge, not my—" Grizel smacked him again. "Ow!"