Detroit

Young Detective Michael Winchester walked into his new precinct. He marvelled at how much nicer it was than his old New York workplace. He walked up to the reception desk and smiled at the lady sitting behind it, who had turned to look at him.

"Hello, Detective Winchester! Your new security card and passwords will be ready shortly. Please have a seat, I will bring them to you," she says, and Michael smiles.

"Thank you!" he says, his smile widening slightly.

His smile drops when he sees the LED on her left temple. He shakes his head slightly, clearing his head of the surprise, then heads to the lobby she had gestured to. He sits himself down in an oddly shaped chair, looking next to him to pick up a magazine pad. He crosses his legs and rests the pad on his knee, swiping through the articles and stories. As he is intently reading a story about a future-predicting super-computer, the Android from the reception desk had walked over to him.

"Detective Winchester," she says, and he jumps slightly.

"Ah, security card. Thank you, miss" he says politely, and she nods to him.

She offered the transparent card covered by a sticky-note in her hand and he took it with a smile.

"Your desk is just through there, Detective. Welcome to the Detroit Police Department!" she said, gesturing towards a set of glass doors leading into an office area.

He smiled at her again and stood, making his way towards the doors. He pulls the sticky note off of his security card, about to insert it into the reader when he is cut off by a gruff looking man around his age. Michael makes a small noise of surprise as he is pushed out of the way by the man.

"Excuse me," Michael says with an annoyed tone.

The man looks to Michael nonchalantly, then continues through the door. Michael glares after the man, then shakes his head and looks around for his name on a desk. He finds it and sits down, then sighs as he sees the man from earlier sit at the attached desk. The man looks to him for a minute. Michael, not quite noticing, continues to settle into his desk. When he catches the man's eye, he raises his eyebrows. The man looks away, then scoffs at two men coming in.

"Fucking Androids" the man mumbles.

The younger of the two men hears him and looks over to him blankly.

"Good Morning, Detective Reed," he says, and Detective Reed scoffs again.

Michael tilts his head, watching the Android closely. The Android shifts his gaze to Michael, almost analyzing him.

"Good morning to you as well, Detective Winchester. My name is Connor, I'm the Android sent by Cyberlife to help investigate deviant cases," he says.

Michael nods, slightly taken aback, as the older man chuckles.

"You don't need to worry about Connor. He can be a little intense at first, but he'll warm up to you," the older man says.

"I'm Hank, by the way," Hank points to the desk set opposite Michael's, who smiles in return.

"It's nice to meet you, Hank, I'm Michael Winchester," Michael says, widening his smile.

"Hey, Connor and I were gonna go out later, hang out with some of the other guys. Wanna join?" Hank asks as he watches Connor head to what looks like the break room. Michael nods.

"Sure! It would be nice to get to know some of the others. Make my working here less awkward" He says, and Hank gives a small smile.

Connor comes back with two mugs and hands one to Michael. Michael tilts his head, looking to Connor quizzically.

"I have access to your personnel file, which includes security footage of the break room. I used that to get your usual coffee." Connor says, giving a small half-smile.

Michael's breath hitches in his throat, finally becoming aware of how attractive he finds the android in front of him. He shakes his head slightly, clearing those thoughts, knowing that Connor's an Android and he's a human. It wouldn't work.

"Is everything alright, Detective Winchester?" Connor asks.

Michael looks up at Connor, nodding and smiling. Hank then walks over to the two men and plops a file down in front of them.

"Grand Larceny, on the corner of 45th and Maine," Hank says, opening the file.

"Grand Larceny? Hank, we're both homicide detectives." Michael says, looking at Hank with confusion.

Hank nods, then motions for the two men to follow him. Michael stands up, following his superior officer towards the door.

"Hey!" Michael hears, and he turns around.

Michael sees Detective Reed holding his hand out toward him. Michael tilts his head, reaching out to Reed's hand. Reed places Michael's security card in his hand before unceremoniously plopping himself back down.

"Don't forget that, moron," he says and Michael grimaces.

He turns back and catches up to Connor and Hank. Connor smiles down at Michael, who smiles back up at him. As the three men head out of the precinct and into an older, slightly beat-up car, Detective Reed is looking over Michael's personnel file. 

Connor sits shotgun with Hank while Michael gets into the back behind him. Connor looks back over his shoulder at Michael, who had brought out his phone and was currently typing something into it. 

"The corner of 45th and Maine?" Michael asks.

Hank nods. 

"Swanky place, right?" He says, and Michael nods as well. 

Connor looks between the two men, waiting for one of them to speak again. And it's Michael who does.

"The place also isn't very android friendly, so I assume something went down at a Cyberlife store?" Michael asks, and Hank nods. 

"Yea, bunch of rich assholes who think they're better than everyone don't like that their emotionless and trapped help aren't so emotionless and trapped anymore. They broke in at about 2:30 in the morning and trashed the place. Broke bio components, stole Blue Blood, even tagged the place to add insult to injury. The reason we need to be there is the security guard." Hank says, and Michael tilts his head slightly. 

"What happened to the security guard?" he asks, and Hank looks to him through the rearview mirror. 

"What we do for a living," Hank says sombrely. 

Michael nods, turning to look out of the window at the passing buildings. Connor is still watching Michael, confused by the man. He had read Michaels personnel file, and was taken aback by what he had read. 

Why would someone like Michael be a cop? And why in Detroit?