Rin Kakeo

16:15 pm

Miss Kakeo,

This letter is requesting that you decide to spend the next school year at UA. We would welcome your presence in the Hero Course, and if you accept our offer we need confirmation by-

I toss the letter over my shoulder and return to drawing my neighbor's Tamaskan puppy, Kimi, who's sleeping on their screen porch, right in view of my window.

I've gotten numerous letters like the one I just tossed away, and not caring too much about what school I go to, I've ignored them all. The letter from UA falls to the floor, joining the fifty-some other papers I've discarded today. Half of them are drawings, the other half scratch paper, notes, and such from school.

My mother scolds me for littering all over my bedroom floor but when she picks the papers up because I'm too lazy to do it myself, she actually reads the letters, unlike when I specifically ask her too.

I'm kind of nervous about the coming school year. All of my previous studies were online, to make my training easier. My quirk manifested at birth; I froze the doctor's hands to my body and made the temperature in the room drop below 0 degrees Celsius.

As a baby, my quirk would come out at random times- freezing my toys while playing, solidifying my baths, even making snow in my sleep. My older sister, Aiko- who was ten at the time- thought this was hilarious, and used her decay quirk to help get rid of the ice.

My parents thought that homeschool would be better for everyone until I learned to control my quirk. My training started when I was two. I was enrolled in public school when I was old enough, but I was sensitive, and if I got upset, startled, frustrated, or even if someone yelled to close to me, my quirk would come out no matter how hard I tried to keep it in. Aiko tried to be encouraging; at one point, she was the only one who I would speak too. We were both heartbroken when she went to college in America.

My training started with control. I still occasionally make ice or snow in my sleep, but only if I'm having a nightmare. Once I had control, my father ordered my trainer to change the focus; I started testing the limits of my power, then focused on accuracy, and so on. Besides using my quirk, I'm trained in martial arts, swordplay, and archery. I should do fine in the entry exam for UA if that's where I end up going, but because I have like zero experience with making friends, I'm afraid I'll be lonely all school year.

I hum the lullaby my sister used to sing to me when I couldn't sleep- and thus kept her awake   

by sitting outside her door and making ice bells:

Mori mo iyagaru, bon kara saki-nya.

Yuki mo chiratsuku-shi, ko mo naku-shi...

(I don't like work such as babysitting. The baby cries and it's snowing tonight... )

I decide that I'm going to call her. We haven't talked in a few days, and thinking of her gives me a pang of loneliness. I look at the date and time; here in Musutafu, it's 04:30, March 10th, which means it's around 09:30 am for Aiko, who is in Milwaukee Wisconsin, in the Midwest of America. She'll be in a lecture for a while longer, but I don't care. I need to talk to my big sister.

Aiko picks up immediately and starts talking rapid-fire in a worried tone; "Imoto? What's wrong, love? Why are you calling me; do I need to come home? Talk to me. What's going on?"

My heart swells at her voice, and I momentarily forget how to speak.

"Rin?"

"E e, watashi wa koko ni imasu," I say. "Yeah, I'm here."

"What's wrong, love?"

"N-nothing, I just... I miss you Aiko."

Silence. Then a huge sigh, and a squeak.

"Look what you did Imoto," Aiko groans, sniffling. "I'm going to cry in my lecture hall. Hold on."

I smile and wait as lots of rustling and shuffling. Aiko's voice comes back on the phone; "Hai, I'm back. I miss you too, lovey. So much. H-how are things back in Musutafu?"

"Good. The weather is warm now, and I'm starting school soon."

Aiko makes an excited Aiko noise. "Aww! My Imoto, going to high school! Your birthday is coming up, in May; you can go out with all the friends you make! Maybe I can fly home; turning 16 is a big occasion, and I want to help you celebrate!"

Aiko rambles on, and I don't have the heart to tell her that I'm not going to make any friends. At least I'll have Aiko, tho.

We talk for an hour and thirty minutes before she cuts me off; "I love you, Imoto, but I've gotta go. I didn't miss much of my last lecture, but my biology class is about to start and I need to go."

I sigh heavily.

"I know, love. But I'll see you on your birthday, and talk to you soon, okay? Seppun! Sayōnara!"

She hangs up, and I feel even lonelier than before. I flop down on the floor, crushing numerous papers, my white and blue hair framing my face. I absently pick one up; it's the letter from UA.

Maybe making friends is a good idea, I think. Then I wouldn't be alone all the time.

The idea of not being lonely is almost as beautiful as the sky outside my window, which is beginning to turn cotton candy-colors as the sun starts to set.

Making a decision, I stand and brush my hair out of my face before running down the stairs.

"Mother! I know what school I want to go to!"

~~~Hello angle food cakes! unlike my other stories, this one will be updated like every other day, I pinky swear!

Hopefully I will be able to draw what Rin looks like, but I'm not sure anyone wants to see my awful artwork. Have a wonderful day angle food cakes. 

Plus Ultra!~~~