Intuition

Here I'm attaching an old blog post that I was really proud of. Its pretty old but it was also my first try at something a little spooky or mysterious. Also I was like 15 so... there's that.

The dark night sky was almost green and the thunder was rumbling like a stampede full of one thousand horses. I pulled my purse closer to my chest and sprinted out of the grocers to the safety of the bus stop. Rain assaulted my every move as I stood in the corner of the overhang in an attempt to stay dry. My car had broken down and I didn't have the money to fix it so I had turned to means of public transportation. Now here I was, alone at night in the middle of a storm, standing in a glass bus shelter with long uncomfortably damp hair stuck to my back. I stood in my wet clothes shivering, waiting for this bloody bus to make it's appearance.

Lightning raced across the sky, illuminating my surroundings. I felt shivers run down my spine causing me to wrap my old coat tighter around my body. It was probably just the cold. I clutched my bag that contained my groceries for the week so tightly my knuckles were as white as bone. The rain was coming sideways in sheets now, there was no chance of me staying dry any longer. Thundered boomed, and I could have sworn the glass panels shook in their frames. I shrieked.

I felt the shivers again, and the baby hairs on the back of my neck tingled. I turned around, searching for someone. The only other person around was the grocery clerk, a middle-aged woman who always seemed a little out of it. Perhaps I should wait inside, where I'm not alone and safe from the weather. I glanced at my watch, 8:23, another two minutes and the bus would arrive. It wasn't worth the trip to venture back inside.

I heard an old wrought iron gate creak to my right. My head whipped around to peer into the darkness. The hunk of metal in question slammed shut, latch clicking firmly in place. The shivers were constant now. I tugged my fallen hood back onto my head and slid my tiny purse into one of my inner coat pockets. I hoped that my bus would show up soon.

The lightning flashed again, this time illuminating a dark figure down the street. Anxiety was clawing at my lungs and tearing into my mind. My head was a whirlwind of worry. My chest heaved with every laborious breath. I was deeply trapped in fear's clutches.

The thunder clapped and I choked on my own breath. The rain was deafening on the metal roof, and I was now praying for that bus to arrive. The figure was almost here, I couldn't quite see its face. The lightning flashed again and I almost dropped my bag. Every ounce of my being was willing the bus to come over the hill.

To my immense relief, headlights shone through the torrential rain. My prayers had been answered. I fished out some precious change and waited for the bus to stop. The doors opened and I fought my way through the onslaught of water. I eagerly dropped my change into the collector and sat down.

"Horrible weather to be travelling in," The driver said while closing the doors. "This is going to be the last run of the night, roads are going to be shut down soon for fear of a flood." I nodded quietly and looked out of the window. The figure rushed towards the bus, knocking on the shut doors just before we left. I cussed quietly.

"Just in time Lad." The bus driver said before driving off. He sat down behind me, but all I could feel was the hard gaze he directed at my head. I sat quietly as we passed each stop, just waiting for him to leave. My stop was the last on the line. I pulled my cellphone out of my purse and slid it into a more easily accessible pocket. I should call my mother when I get home.

As we passed the second to last stop, my heart sank into the floor. I tucked my keys into my hand and picked up my bag. When the bus slowed for the last time, I stood up and walked out the door while bidding the driver goodnight. I walked quickly down the street, all too aware of the footsteps behind me. I turned the corner and almost shouted in frustration when the footsteps followed. My steps were light and fast as I turned down my driveway and the footsteps continued on and then disappeared completely. I breathed a sigh of relief and inserted my key into the lock.

The door swung open as I felt warm breath on my neck. I gasped as I felt a sharp pain through my back and into my rib cage. I struggled for air as I heard the squelching sound of the knife being jammed around and taken out of my back. I hit the floor of my entryway before I was roughly kicked inside and the door was slammed shut behind me.