Chapter 1, in which there's too much exposition

Word count: 1,240

You never had less than two things on your mind. Even in situations where a normal person wouldn't have any thoughts, your head was full. This particularly annoying trait you decided to blame on being a siren. Every moment, something could go wrong. Was I acting suspicious, were they looking at me too long, what if they knew? Rapid thoughts like these only got worse after the Avengers decided to show up. In your mind, at least, you were the perfect target for them. And if you weren't, then your family definitely was. You'd split off from them about 4 years ago, you didn't want to be apart of the shipwrecks and the murder that they so nonchalantly caused. So you left, and turned your head the other way whenever the news reported a capsized boat or a missing persons last seen near the bay.

"Order for y/n!" The Starbucks barista shouted from across the room. You stood up and took your drink, finding a seat in the way back and opening up your laptop. 6 new emails. 5 of which were from clubs or bars asking that you sing there, the final one a reminder you had set for yourself about tomorrow. You made a mental note to prepare for tomorrow, you were supposed to meet up with your family.

It was a part of the agreement you'd made when you left, each Saturday was meetup time, so everyone could see you again and you could tell them all about your surface adventures. You'd have to be careful to not be spotted near the waters.

-----------------------------

The meeting room was dimly lit, dreary plants stood in each corner, they needed to be watered. Tony and Steve sat almost opposite to each other at a table, Bruce was standing close to the table, and Nat was leaning against the wall in one of the corners.

"I just don't like it" Steve turned around to face Tony. "I mean, it's nothing worth calling together the whole team, but don't you think it's odd?" Tony sighed.

"Just because a few ships go missing. This isn't anything to investigate, Rodgers." Tony was annoyed, clearly.

"With all due respect Tony, it's not just a few ships. It's practically each one going through that area." Bruce looked up from some kind of data analysis and spoke. "And most of the ships that return are missing at least one passenger. Isn't that at least a little weird?"

"Well yeah, duh. Of course it's weird. But the Avengers don't deal with weird. We deal with world ending." Tony paused. "Well, I mean, the one time we were in action. What was that, less than a month ago?"

"But that's the thing, Stark. We can't just wait for the issue to be world ending, we stop it as soon as we can." Steve argued back.

"Or, alternatively." Tony stood up. "We could just ignore things that aren't out problem."

"But what if it becomes our problem?" Nat spoke up from the corner of the room, eyebrow raised.

"Then we cross that bridge when we get to it." Tony shrugged.

"What if we went out alone? Not all of us, just a few." Bruce looked back to his data set. "Whoever wants to go, we could just check things out." He looked up again. "That way, everybody can get what they want."

"Sounds good to me." Nat shrugged and looked at Steve.

"I'm in." Steve and Nat both turned to Tony.

"Well, have fun on your cruise, anything goes wrong, maybe I'll care more." Tony turned and waved before walking out of the room. Nat rolled her eyes and looked at Bruce.

"So. Plan, idea, anything?" She crossed her arms.

"Uh, no, not really." He looked nervous. "I was sort of planning on asking Tony for a boat, but-"

"I'll get a boat." Nat cut him off. "Anything else?"

"No, not really." Bruce didn't bother to wonder where Nat would get a boat.

~time skippity~

You glanced to your computer's clock, nervous. It was almost eleven, which you had designated as your leaving time so you could have enough time to take the bus and still arrive at midnight. You started to close tabs, taking one last glance at the mostly unanswered emails you'd gotten from clubs and bars to perform there. You'd have to perfect your skills a bit more before you could perform in larger numbers, lest something bad happen. If you focused on your songs, they could do practically anything, including just being regular songs. And since you made a decent amount of money working in small bars and clubs, you decided it was worth the risk. The numbers turned from 10:59 to 11:00 and you immediately shut your laptop and got up. You turned off the lights in the room and left, locking the door behind you. There was a stop right next to the apartment, so you didn't have to walk far. You stopped at the sign designating the area as a bus stop and pulled out your phone, plugging in your earbuds and turning on a mix of your favorite songs.

You'd been through the process too many times to count, but you still went over it in your head each time you got on the bus. You didn't even notice you'd been humming along to the song currently playing. 

"Hey." Was someone talking to you? Someone tapped your shoulder, and you jumped a bit. "Hey!" You took out an earbud and stopped humming.

"Yes?" You turned around to face a complete stranger, presumably the one who tapped you on the shoulder. Your mind was racing with all the possible things that could go wrong.

"I really liked your humming, do you have like a Spotify or something?" The stranger asked, smiling. You mentally cursed, you must have been humming something. With focus, your songs were what you wanted them to be. Without focus, they did what they were supposed to do, puppet minds into your bidding. Careless.

"Oh, uh, not really. Thanks though." The stranger looked disappointed, but turned back around. You turned off the music and put both your phone and earbuds in your pocket. Should have been more careful.

You'd been riding the bus for about 45 minutes when your stop finally came up. You hopped up and got off the bus, starting towards the bay.

You'd been walking 3 minutes,  according to your phone. That was a new record. You stopped for a minute to catch your breath on the guardrail across the length of where the park touched the bay. (Incase anyone is wondering, I'm basing this off of the little park near the Verranzzo-Narrows bridge.) You took a deep breath in and out, scanned all around you, making sure no one was close enough to see you get in. Then you jumped the fence and plunged into the chilly, dark waters.

Well that's as good a place as any to end a chapter! If anyone is mad that I'm writing New York incorrectly, tell me. I've literally never been there and all this is based off Google Maps and my experience living in a major city. I hope you've all had a good day so far, thanks for checking this out!! Next chapter up next week, subscribe if you feel like it, amd make sure to do some self-care today!! :)