Sweatpants or Basketball Shorts?

"Hey Ryder, the storm doesn't seem to be letting up at all." I looked out the window to see sidewalks beaten by hail and wind tearing through the trees across the street. The sun had just set, leaving just the streetlights to illuminate the outside world. "Would you be okay with spending the night here? I would sleep a lot easier knowing you don't have to go through that," I gestured to the window," again. I still can't believe you practically drove through a natural disaster to make sure I was okay."

Ryder just cocked his head to the side and gave me a cheery smile. "The cell towers got taken down by the wind and hail. Coming here was the only way to make sure that you were safe." This damn cutie, I couldn't be upset at him for worrying in this situation. I closed the distance between us to hug him, running my hand through the short black hair at his neck.

Conjuring up my most enticing voice, I asked, "So now that you know I'm safe, would you consider staying here so I can know that you're safe too?"

Ryder wrapped his arms around me and agreed. There weren't enough words to express how grateful I was that he would stay. As we just stood there hugging each other, I realized that his clothes were mildly damp and he was shivering. "Ryder, how long have your clothes been wet?"

"I don't know, maybe thirty minutes. It was raining at my house when I left to come see you." He squeezed me a bit tighter and nuzzled his forehead into the crook of my neck.

"We need to get you warm." I took a moment to think about possible paths to take before informing him. "You should take a shower. I have some clean clothes you can borrow. They should fit because we're the same height, but they're going to be really baggy because I'm bigger than you." I'm not insecure about my weight but wanted to make sure he would know.

Still holding me, he answered, "A shower sounds like a good idea. Are the towels still in the linen closet?"

"Yeah, now let's go get you some clothes to change into when you're done."

Humming, he let go of me and we started walking to my room. I opened my dresser and first asked, "Long sleeve or short sleeve?"

"Long."

I pulled out a light blue tee-shirt that read "Arapahoe Creek Orchestra" and threw it at him, grinning when it hit his face then fell, Ryder barely managing to catch it.

"Alright, sweatpants or basketball shorts?"

"Hmmmmm," He furrowed his brow as if this was the most difficult decision he would ever make, "Let me look at them to see which ones look cooler." He came over to see four pairs of sweatpants and two pairs of basketball shorts, all of which were different colors and cuts. Ryder settled on a navy blue pair of sweatpants that went well with the shirt.

"Alright, go grab a towel and take a hot shower. I'll get changed while you're in there and make some hot coco. Do you need anything else?"

He looked a little nervous, opening and closing his mouth a few times before he stuttered out, "U-um... where am I," he gulped, "Where am I going to sleep?" He was blushing thoroughly throughout his entire face, but I'm not sure how much of that was due to the cold and how much was due to the question.

Awwww, my cute little Ryder was so adorable sometimes. Smiling, I replied, "We'll figure that out after you're dry. Now," I said, turning him around and giving him a gentle shove in the direction of the bathroom, "Go take a hot shower. I'll see you when you get out."

—————

About fifteen minutes later, I heard the bathroom door click open and Ryder calling out, "Sydney, I'm done showering."