Still in There

Rapunzel paced back and forth outside the Snuggly Duckling. She could see the black rocks covering Corona from where she stood. And the princess knew the person who was responsible was still in Corona.

"Why would Cass do this?" Rapunzel wrung her hands together, trying to remember the events that had occurred. She hadn't been there for the rest of it but knew what had set it off.

Project Obsidian, huh? Zhan Tiri was right.

Cassandra's voice rang in her ears, making her shudder. Rapunzel recognized the rage in her voice after she broke out the amber. She closed her eyes and saw Cassandra's terrified expression as the amber encased her.

"There's still hope for Cass," she told herself. Cassandra hadn't attacked the kingdom until the incident with the amber. With a plan formulating in her head, she dashed back into the Snuggly Duckling to get Eugene.

~~~

In the throne room, Cassandra sat on Rapunzel's throne, holding her head in her hands. Black rocks surrounded her and provided protection. She stared at her reflection, feeling a strange but familiar feeling of emptiness. Then she laughed, her voice rough from yelling so much.

"Some friend you are," she said aloud to no one in particular. She ruined her chance at redemption when the amber shot her. And when the one person she wanted to make things right with gave her a chance to retrieve it, she had rejected it.

"Are you alright, Cassandra?" the young woman looked up to see Zhan Tiri standing beside her.

"Why are you here?" she asked, still not over what she had done.

"Cassandra, you need to stop dwelling on things that aren't your fault," Zhan Tiri said. The shape-shifter took Cassandra's hands in hers.

"To fulfill your destiny you must reunite the Sundrop and Moonstone," she confirmed. Cassandra stared at the demon and pulled her hands away.

"Can I be alone for now," she asked Zhan Tiri quietly. The demon nodded, leaving Cassandra by herself in the room once more.

~~~

"I know you think it's dangerous, but I have to do this," Rapunzel admitted, brushing a lock of hair out of her face. Eugene opened his mouth as if to say something, but Rapunzel beat him to it.

"You have to trust me with my decision," Rapunzel stated firmly, and Eugene looked at her, worried.

"I do trust you. But what if--?" Rapunzel looked towards the castle and sighed,

"I'm not sure what will happen, but I know Cass is still in there, and I'm willing to take the risk," she said, her green eyes full of confidence. Eugene thought for a moment and nodded in understanding.

"I'll tell the others where you went," he assured her, preparing to head back inside the pub, before turning to look back at her.

"And, Rapunzel? Good luck," Rapunzel dipped her head, waving back at him.

"You too,"

~~~

"Your destiny is to take the Sundrop," Cassandra repeated over and over again. But the more she said it, the more it sounded untrue. How would retrieving the Ultimate Power make the world see her for who she was? It would only make it fear her more, and leave her lost in the shadows. Corona already saw her as a villain, but she couldn't blame them. She had threatened their princess and destroyed the kingdom. Cassandra could list a hundred reasons why they could never forgive her. Perhaps her place in Rapunzel's story was to be the bad guy.

After all, in most stories, the villain never got a happy ending.

"Don't think those thoughts," she snapped, but it did nothing. She bit her lip, her mind replaying her declaration on repeat.