Prologue

The warm sun glistened in the sky and the water fall sounded crisp as it flowed through the river. It travelled fast to then run off the cliff, fall and crash into the water below. Never ending, just a infinite peace.

"I love it here," she said as her lips forming into a smile.

I watched her face as she took a deep breath in and slowly closed her eyes, head titling back so her face caught in the sun light. She didn't look real.

"Yeah," I looked away. "It's nice."

The trees slowly rustled above us and I looked across the river to see other people getting up to hike the hills. The sun shined brightly and made me regret wearing my black tee. I rubbed the back of my neck. I was nervous, but she made me feel safe.

I never usually went outside or liked it, but she made me want to stay. She made me want to enjoy a lot of things I never usually would.

She opened her eyes and stretched, leaning forward and closer to me, "I think it's time for that sandwich."

She smiled and I feel my glance go soft. What am I doing?

She pulled out her bag and grabbed herself a sandwich, then handed me one too.

"Chicken, cheese, spinach and pesto. Toasted to perfection. Better than some ham and cheese I bet."

I look away from her smile and it disappears.

"Sorry." she says.

We unwrapped our food in silence and began to eat, silence covering over us. She takes a sigh before leaning back against her bag, perfectly on display in front of me. I tried not too, but my eyes trail up her legs and to her breasts. My heart quickens and I take another bite before setting it aside.

"Miss Walsh," I keep my eyes down, feeling the wind pick up and brush around us. "What are we doing?"

I look up and our eyes meet, her once dark brown eyes sparkle gold and yellow as the sun casts light around her. Her gentle face almost looks puzzled, and I know. I didn't want to ask it, I know she wants to ignore it a little longer, but I can't help myself. She looks down, then out to the river.

"Cedric," She said softly. She looks back at me with a small smile. She looks sad.

"We're not on school grounds right now, you can call me Betty. You make me feel like my mother when you call me that."

"But you are my teacher."

"I'm not your teacher Cedric." She snaps. She's looking at me now, a slight frown on her face. She sighs and looks away. "I'm a trainee, a prac teacher. I'm there to help and even learn myself, but I'm not your teacher."

I feel the pit of my stomach turn. Birds chirp and fly over us, the sound of the water and the wind in the trees all lock together and make it feel so peaceful. But I can't ignore what's hanging over us.

She looks up at me, "Can't we just enjoy right now?"

Her beautiful face would usually make me stop in awe, but I didn't let myself this time. How could she say that? How could she expect me to be okay with this? I look away, wrapping up my sandwich and putting it in my bag.

"What are you doing? What's wrong?" She says sitting up. She reaches for my shoulder and I turn away.

"I may be a student but I'm not some guy you can play pretend with then look down on every other day of the week," I threw my bag over my shoulder and stood up, "I can't pretend like you, it's always going to be on my mind and it's not fair whatever you're trying to do."

"No, wait. Cedric-" She scrambled to her feet, standing in front of me. I look down at her, a head or more so taller.

"I'm sorry, I'm not trying to hurt you Cedric, I just-"

"What?" I step closer to her, "You just what?"

I see her chest puff up as she takes a sudden breath. Her cheeks suddenly glow warm and flushed. Our bodies close together. She's so small and delicate, and I can smell her perfume as the wind blows against us.

"What Betty?" I ask again.

She stares at me mouth a gap, then looks down, her hair falling and covering her face. Her small hand reaches up to grab the bottom of my shirt. She doesn't say anything. Please say something.

I know she knows what I want. But if that's the case, I won't torture myself if I can't have it.

I swallow, and take a deep breath and walk away from her, her grasp letting go easily. I don't look back to see her face. I don't want her to see mine anyway.

"Wh- Wait! Cedric!"

I ignore her and continue my stride, I was upset and I wanted to go home. I couldn't be around her anymore, I didn't want to look at her. She continued to call for me but I didn't listen. I put my head down as I knew she was drawing attention to ourselves.

"I'm sorry! Please-"

I grabbed my phone and pulled my head phones from my pocket, quickly plugging them in so I couldn't hear her anymore. Could just forget about it.

It's what I have to do. It's what hurts to do but I'll do it. I can ignore it. I can ignore her. I have too, I don't want to hurt, I shouldn't of let myself get close. What was I thinking?

I feel a lump in my throat and breathe. Don't cry.
It doesn't matter, and it never should of. What did I really think would happen? Fuckin' idiot. I'll get over it, pretend it doesn't matter thats what I'll do.

By the time I get home, it's already dark. I unlock my front door and walk in.

"Hey," Catherine says, my sister, emerging from her room. She smiles at me. "How'd it go?"

I look at her, I don't smile. I don't say anything.

"Oh."

I walk past her to my room and close the door. So stupid, such a fucking idiot. I toss my bag to the floor and sit at my desk. Just get over it. I won't cry, I can't let myself. My phone lights up and I already know who it is. I don't read it, I don't even look. I'm embarrassed and feel foolish.

I get up and open my window, then opening my draws to grab my hidden cigarette packet. I don't smoke regularly, but I light one and take a deep breath. I say I'll ignore it, ignore her. But let's see how that goes with school tomorrow, more so, the rest of the goddamn year.

-

new story coming thru! thanks for reading x