Chapter 9

ELYON'S POV

Jamal had led me back up the way I came down stairs, to the room I woke up in which I realized was his room. After giving me a mouth wash, teasing me about having a bad breath, He went back down to get some things and I was lying on his bed, going through my phone.

I saw two text messages from my mum, telling me to have fun at Chidinma's and that she and dad had gone out to see my grandparents on the mainland. Venus was at a friend's. I looked through again and saw dozen of messages from Mateo, asking how I was, apologizing for God knows what and asking me if we could talk. I frowned.

What happened last night?

The door of the room opened and Jamal came in, holding a tray of coffee, a bottle of water and aspirin. He sat down on the bed right in front of me and placed the tray in between us.

"You need some painkillers and a coffee to recuperate. You'll be fine in a few hours." He said and I nodded.

"How did you know how to deal with hangovers?" I asked him and he shrugged with a small smile.

"Skye has low alcohol tolerance. Every time we go to a party, I end up being the one to clean up after her." He explained and I nodded again.

"Speaking of Skye. Why is she not back yet?" I took the spoon and stirred the coffee.

"She's staying there for a while, so I'm stuck here alone." He mumbled and I looked at him. Even though he might not have meant it to sound sad, it still came out that way.

"Hey, you are not stuck here alone. My parents are out as well and Venus is at a friend's. So I'll keep you company." I smirked and he chuckled.

"I guess. Come on, take your drug." He removed two tablets and handed it over to him. I threw it in my mouth and downed the water to half.

"Thanks. I kinda feel a bit better." I smiled and he smiled back. He pushed away the bottle of water and the tablets. Mateo's messages came to my mind again and I looked at Jamal.

Should I ask him?

"Jamal, what happened at the party last night?" I asked. Jamal's hand paused on what he was holding before he slowly looked at me.

"What do you mean?" He asked. I exhaled, handing my phone over to him to have a look.

"Mateo sent me some messages. He was apologizing for something I cannot remember. I can barely record what happened last night after drinking the fifth cup. If he is apologizing like that, something must have happened..." I trailed off, watching Jamal as he also watched me intently.

"...and you know about it." I concluded.

Jamal looked at me for a moment. I could see it in his eyes. He was having an internal battle with himself. He obviously knew something. He took the tray and the aspirin and stood up, making to walk away. I stood up as well.

"Jamal..." I started but he cut me off.

"The best person you should ask that question is Mateo. He will tell you what happened." He simply said.

"You know what happened so why don't you tell me now?" I asked him. He sighed, turning around to face me completely.

"It's not in my place, Elyon. I don't want to tell you anything except he does. I can't tell you what happened." He Shook his head and I was forced to scoff.

"That's not fair. You are keeping it away from me because Mateo is your friend and you don't want to break some so called 'bro code'." My voice was rising. Jamal groaned in frustration.