Chapter 1

Black. All that she could see was black. It was like she was covered in the deepest void possible. Then slowly a noise was bringing her out of it. Ring. Ring. She opened her eyes slowly revealing the beige ceiling of her room. She slowly moved her hand to see Monse's name lighting up on the screen. She clicked ignore before closing her eyes again. Moments passed. Ring. Ring. She sighed as she picked up the phone.

"Hello" Halle greeted plainly.

"Hey..." Monse trailed off softly trying to get a feel for how Halle was doing. "You doing okay?"

Halle hummed into the phone not really feeling like talking. Monse nodded slowly, "You still going to go to Ruby's tonight for New Years?"

"Yeah."

"Halle, I think you need to talk to Ruby." Monse sighed, "I know you guys haven't really talked since then with him being in the hospital and around family. Have you talked to anyone about what happened?"

"There's nothing to talk about."

"Oliva die...There's a lot to talk about. Halle, this isn't like you." Monse was worried about the deadness in her voice. "Do you want me to come see you?"

"I'm okay, Monse. I've just had a couple nights of bad sleep." Halle tried to shake her off, "Once I'm around everyone, I think I'll feel better, I promise."

While Halle was primarily lying, there was some truth behind her words. When she was with other people, she could fake it well. Siting with Ruby in the hospital she was able to put her focus on caring for him, or talking with Jamal, Cesar, and Monse. She could keep her cool and everything felt normal. It was when she was home alone or saw the framed photo of Monse, Olivia, and her in her bedroom, or when she looked at her hands and saw the red stickiness of Ruby's blood that scared her to death. It was when she closed her eyes and saw the event replay and how if Ruby hadn't moved her that it would have been her and not Olivia maybe. Maybe Olivia would have stood a-

"Halle!" Monse exclaimed causing Halle to jump and refocus.

"Oh sorry."

"Halle, you're worrying me." Monse whispered

"I promise, Monse. I'm cool." Halle sighed, "I'm just gonna get some rest, but can you come by and we can go to Ruby's together?"

"Of course."

"I'll see you then."

Halle let out a deep sigh feeling the deep press into her chest as she did so. She rolled over to her side seeing the photo frame on her bedside table. She focused in on their happy faces and closed her eyes again.

-O-

Halle slid her jean jacket over stripped turtleneck shirt, to compliment her black jeans and black boots to match. She trudged over to her vanity smoothing out the hairs sticking out from the top of her head. She laid her hands down on top of the vanity as she looked at herself in the mirror. It was the first time since the incident that she had put makeup on. She looked normal, and everything else was normal besides the fact Olivia was gone and she was still here. The doorbell rang causing Halle to look up suddenly. She grabbed her phone from the vanity and slid it into a nearby black sling purse before making she had her wallet and keys. Halle slid the bag strap over her shoulder before rushing over to the door. She flung it up revealing Monse.

"Hey" She half-smiled bringing her into a hug, "Where's Cesar?"

"He's going to talk to Oscar" Monse explained as she moved back to let Halle step out and lock the door.

"Yikes." Halle replied simply as she began to head down the steps of her porch with Monse. The girls linked arms as they headed over to Ruby's, which was only a few doors down. Halle smiled softly as she noticed Monse had light makeup on, her hair up, nice earrings, and a jean jacket with a red dress under. "You look cute."