Chapter 1: Arya's Decision

After finding out that Eragon wanted to leave Alagaësia to the east forever, Arya was furious with herself for not admitting her feelings, maybe he wouldn't be leaving if she had just told him she reciprocated his feelings. She was broken inside and it was ripping her apart. Not literally of course, but it felt like her heart would break and never recover if Eragon left. She is not just losing a friend, she is losing the one she had feelings for.

She just stood there, by the river where she has told him to meet her, staring at Eragon, memorizing every detail she could of his back, so she can remember this moment and make a faith. After a while of silence, she finally asks Eragon, "Are you really never coming back? Are you just going to leave everything you know behind?"

Despite her efforts not to cry, she felt tears form at the edge of her eyes, and they started to run down her cheeks. When the first one hits her upper lip she tastes the salty taste of tears. Eragon didn't like seeing Arya cry so he walked over and he reached his arms out in invitation and she ran over and wrapped her arms around him, wanting to hug him before he might change his mind. She knew he would probably be irritated that she is crying into his tunic, but she doesn't care, because he had wrapped his arms around her and was trying to soothe her by mumbling calming words to her. He said, "Please don't cry, Arya. Please don't cry, there is no need. I don't want to go, you know. It's definitely going to be painfully hard leaving Alagaësia. Leaving Roran, Katrina, Ismira, Murtagh, Orik, Nasuada, and most of all, leaving you. Leaving you will be the hardest thing I will have ever done, harder than killing Durza, hell, even harder than fighting and beating Galbatorix. But this is what I am destined to do. Angela told me when I met her in Teirm that I was going to leave Alagaësia forever and never return. And here I am, leaving Alagaësia, never to return." Arya sunk into Eragon's comforting embrace, his words were only slightly comforting. He said, "Will you come with me? Please, Arya? Then you could save us from this suffering in our hearts and minds." Arya knew she couldn't, and it killed her inside to have to say what she said next.

She said, in a low whisper, "I-... I can't. Eragon you know that I'm the Queen of the elves now. I can't... I wish I could but I can't. I'm sorry."

Another pause of silence enveloped them both until Arya said, "Don't leave. I can't leave and you don't have to!" Eragon then whispered, "I'm sorry, but I do have to leave. So, we need to leave each other." It pained Eragon to say that. It broke him even more to see the effect it had on Arya. Arya started to sob again, almost worse than before. Then she said, "Please stay with me. Just stay for a few days, then you can go." "Alright, but only for a few days." "I want you to stay and see me every day, Eragon." They stayed in this embrace for almost an hour until Arya pushed out of his embrace. Then their dragons come from up above and land. They both got on and they jumped into the clouds above both thinking the same thing. I wish we could be with each other.