𝟙

My world didn't end in a bang or a whisper. But rather one scream at a time. Screams so piercing, they shattered all good things, leaving me to desperately pick up the pieces. In some ways, my world had to end, in order to give birth to a new one.

...

"Aiden! Enough! Stop tickling me!" Crying-laughing, as his relentless hands continue to torture me.

"Aiden, leave your sister alone and help me bring out the food! It's going to get cold otherwise." Mum rolled her eyes but managed a laugh after looking at my hair, strewn all over the place.

"But Mum, Rean slapped me!"

"I did no such thing, I have no clue what you are talking about, I am completely innocent in this situation. As I see it, you were the one assaulting me." I sniffed for extra effect.

"As if, you were the one lounging all over me like a bloody pest!"

"Well it's not my fault you're comfier than the wooden floor."

"Then sit on the couch!" Using his arms expressively to convey his completely ludicrous point.

"No. Hey- Hey! Stop that. You almost hit me in the face."

"Good." He glared at me.

I glared back.

Looking between the both of us, Mum was flabbergasted. "Honestly you two. Haven't been seventeen for even a full day yet and you still act like you're five." She huffed a big sigh. "Now, if you are done arguing, come help me set up the food for your birthday". Exasperated, she turned and left to the kitchen, expecting us to follow.

We didn't look at each other, in fear of breaking down laughing. "She's gonna pop a vein, 'ay?" I said, unable to keep a straight face any longer.

He laughed, "Mate, she's fucking pissed."

"No shit."

Dad was out the back deck working the barbie, whilst my little brother Jackson and my other feral little siblings were in the rumpus room fighting over the t.v. remote. Everything was right as rain.

"Hey, nut sacks, keep it down", I raised my voice slightly so they could hear me over their heated debate of whether or not to watch My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Dakota, the only girl of the set of triplets, wanted to watch Dragon Prince.

"But Lee, they won't listen to my perfectly reasonable arguments as to why we need to find out the ending of Dragon Prince before starting My Little Pony a-" Kota's eyes widened and she stood stock still. The hairs on the back of my neck stuck up straight. I could practically smell the fear rippling off the triplets as they caught sight of whatever she was staring at.

"Kota, I need you to listen to me. You're gonna go to your playroom and play with your dollhouse with your brothers okay? No more whining about who wants to watch what. Now." They backed away slowly, but not too slow as to cause suspicion. Good girl. I could only hope that they fully understood my message. The triplets weren't easily frightened, and whatever stood behind me had done just that. Preparing to turn around, a dark silhouette lurking behind an open door caught my eye. The same one the triplets saw.

A defining noise sounded. In slow motion, glass shards shining with the day's light rained all around me, smashing into a million, glittering pieces. Purple smoke like substance wafted through the air, choking me, making me cough and hack. My instincts kicked in later then usual as I ducked for cover behind the rumpus room's doorway. It didn't matter though. It saw me. Whatever it was, saw me. Knew I was here. Fiery hot tendrils of pain wrapped their way around my body, encasing me. Screams rippled through the house, all over, never-ending. Like that of a horror movie. Something warm and liquid fell down my face, a waterfall of red. Shrieks of utter terror accompanied those of betrayal and anguish.