Best Adventure Books for Children!

Physics quiz? Science project due? Don't worry! While your little ones can't skip school (online) lessons or get on a plane for a fun summer vacation, they can surely have their own adventures by reading a great book.Do you have these adventure books in your library?

Just Kidding by Andy Griffiths

Just Kidding! is the first book in a hilarious series of short stories about the world's smartest, craziest and most annoying practical joker from the creators of the bestselling Treehouse series, Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton.

Is this the right book for you? Take the JUST KIDDING TEST and find out!

1. Do you ever pretend that you are sick to get out of going to school?

2. Do you leave banana skins in the middle of busy footpaths?

3. Do you wish that every day could be April Fools' Day?

SCORE: One point for each yes answer.

Beyond Platform 13 by Eva Ibbotson

The Island of Mist is under siege and Odge Gribble and Prince Ben are in hiding. Desperate to find out why the mist is disappearing, Odge travels through the Gump to Vienna, to find a mist maker expert.

But in yet another case of mistaken identity, Odge finds Lina, a nine-year-old girl looking for adventure. With the help of friends old and new and some very interesting magic, Odge and Lina must discover the secret of the mist, before they lose their beloved island completely.

Return to the Jungle by Bear Grylls

Six months after his adventures in Spirit of the Jungle, Mak returns to the Wainganga River, where a conservation project is tracking the elusive wild elephant, endangered by loggers and poachers.

When a young elephant is captured by an unscrupulous merchant, Mak and his friend Diya follow them into the heart of the jungle in a quest to set the animal-free. But soon Mak finds that he must remember all his survival skills to escape danger.

The Good, the Bad and the Deadly 7 by Garth Jennings

Having seven invisible monsters to hang out with during the summer holidays is pretty great, but now it's time to go back to school, and if Nelson's not careful, the Deadly 7 are going to get him into serious trouble. The monsters agree to stay away (and hang out in London Zoo), but there's one problem: something huge and invisible has started rampaging through the French countryside and it looks like Nelson and his monsters might be the only ones who can help.

Who better to stop one enormous terrifying monster than seven little angry, sneaky, greedy, vain, adorable, thieving, farting monsters? That's right, Stan, Puff, Nosh, Miser, Hoot, Crush and Spike are here to save the day!

Spirit of the Jungle by Bear Grylls

After being washed away down the Wainganga River during a flash flood, Mak wakes up alone in the Indian jungle. The jungle is full of danger - poisonous snakes, cunning monkeys and desperate poachers - and every step Mak takes might be his last.

Mak finds help and friendship from other jungle creatures, but he will need all his skill and luck to survive and make his way back home.

Attack of the Heebie-Jeebies by Tom Percival

Meet the Dream Team! Turning nightmares into incredible adventures!

Erika's had a bad day. But going to sleep upset means bad dreams. She finds herself stranded in the Dreamscape along with a mob of hungry Heebie Jeebies - and to make matters worse, she's being hunted by a terrifying Angermare!

Enter the Dream Team! Can they help Erika overcome her worries and get home, or will she be trapped forever?

Book Scavenger by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman

For twelve-year-old Emily, the best thing about moving to San Francisco is that it's the home city of her literary idol: Garrison Griswold, book publisher and creator of the online sensation Book Scavenger (a game where books are hidden in cities all over the country and clues to find them are revealed through puzzles). Upon her arrival, however, Emily learns that Griswold has been attacked and is now in a coma, and no one knows anything about the epic new game he had been poised to launch. Then Emily and her new friend James discover an odd book, which they come to believe is from Griswold himself and might contain the only copy of his mysterious new game.

Racing against time, Emily and James rush from clue to clue, desperate to figure out the secret at the heart of Griswold's new game―before those who attacked Griswold come after them too.

Gullstruck Island by Frances Hardinge

On Gullstruck Island the volcanoes quarrel, beetles sing danger and occasionally a Lost is born . . .

In the village of the Hollow Beasts live two sisters. Arilou is a Lost - a child with the power to depart her body and mind-fly with the winds – and Hathin is her helper. Together they hide a dangerous secret until sinister events threaten to uncover it. With a blue-skinned hunter on their trail and a dreadlocked warrior beside them, they must escape or risk everything. Can the fate of two children decide the future of Gullstruck Island?

The Highland Falcon Thief by MG Leonard

Harrison Beck is reluctantly joining his travel-writer Uncle Nat for the last journey of the royal train, The Highland Falcon. But as the train makes its way to Scotland, a priceless brooch goes missing, and things are suddenly a lot more interesting. As suspicions and accusations run high among the passengers, Harrison begins to investigate and uncovers a few surprises along the way. Can he solve the mystery of the jewel thief and catch the culprit before they reach the end of the line?

Hear whispers in the dining car, find notes in the library, and unknown passengers among the luggage as you help Harrison to solve the mystery aboard one of the world's grandest trains. Fast-paced and packed with illustrations and clues, Adventures on Trains is a stop you won't want to miss!

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming

'Crackpot' is what everybody calls the Pott family. So when they go to buy a new car and come back with a WRECK, nobody is surprised. 

Except for the Potts themselves. First, the car has a name. And she tells them what it is. Then they find that she can fly . . . and swim . . . 

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is a car on a mission to stop a criminal gang in its tracks – and she is taking the Potts with her! Jump into the world's most loved magical car, for her first adventure ever!