Chapter 1

"Here's your coffee miss along with a hot chocolate for the young master. If you need anything else you need only call mistress." A young girl in a maid outfit bowed before leaving the women and her son and returning to the kitchen for another order.

Her black hair was a stark contrast to her white maid outfit and green eyes a vibrant change from most of the maid's brown ones.

"After that lady leaves, can you take out the trash Natsumi?"

She nodded to her coworker before grabbing the next order and plastering on a smile. When the little boy and his mom finally left the evening had come. She flipped the sign to closed as her co-workers began to change and leave.

Tying the strings together she hoisted it over her shoulder and propped open the back door as she exited into the neighboring alleyway.  For a moment she paused, and admired the colors of the sun that splattered the sky in beauty. When she finally threw the trash away and entered only her manager, one of the chefs, and herself remained.

"Oh thank goodness. I was afraid something had happened to you." Her manager fretted and she shook her head before entering the changing area. The frills fell away and were replaced with baggy comfort as she tucked her hair under a hat that went under the hood of her jacket.

"See you tomorrow." Her manager waved her off cheerfully and Natsumi nodded back before beginning her walk down the dark street. She tucked her hands in the pockets and simply trudged her way along, without a worry or care.

The steady pound of footsteps however had her turning around as a body knocked into her. They fell to the ground where they began to tussel. She gritted her teeth as the man tried his best to pin her. With a quick lift of her knee she had him weakened and threw him off herself before standing and running. 

Her hood came loose and hair free as she scrambled around the corner and threw her body into a nearby cafe. The patrons inside seemed a bit startled at her slightly disheveled appearance but quickly looked away not wanting to get involved in her mess.

"Welcome to the Barrion's Garden. What can I get for you?" The employee behind the counter asked her. He had short black hair and a boy scout grin. However his hazel eyes showed he was far from a boy scout.

"Medium iced mocha, extra cream." She looked at the glass display of desserts, "And a blueberry scone."

"Coming right up." It was quiet as the chatter began to slowly come back to life and the machine made her drink before he reached under and grabbed a scone for her. Digging into her pants pocket she pulled out her wallet and handed over twenty. She put the change in the tip jar and took a seat in the back, furthest from the door she could be and a ways from a window.

She knew she shouldn't be drinking coffee but would need all the energy, even if temporary, to run if needed again. She took a deep breath and smoothed out her hair before tucking it back under her hood as she nibbled on the scone, hoping it would last till the place closed.

Luck wasn't on her side however when her assailant entered the little Cafe. His eyes zeroed in on her but he made no move as he order a small black coffee and took a seat a few tables away, never once looking away from her.

Out of all the people, why did he have to go after her? She wondered irritably when one of the workers slide into the booth across from her with a wide grin.

"I thought that was you Crissy. I'd recognize that jacket anywhere." His eyes pleaded with her to play along and she plastered on a smile. "Mike. I didn't realize you'd be working tonight. How have you been?" They made idle chatter, telling jokes up until closing time.

"Hey wait here for me. Let me walk you home." She nodded and stood close to the employees only door. The man had yet to leave, obviously not buying their act and left before them.

"Alright ready when you are." He slid an arm around her shoulders and allowed her to guide them to the bus stop where they bordered, alone. No one else resided on the bus and no one entered after them as they took a seat. She breathed out a sigh of relief as he chuckled.

"Thank you a bunch." He shook his head and leaned against one of the poles in the center.

"I'm just glad my buddy noticed. As soon as that man entered he knew something was up and told me. I'm just glad we were able to help in some way." He crossed his arms before ruffling his brown hair as he ran his fingers through it.

"For real though who was that guy?" He asked wondering if it was maybe an angry Ex or something. She shrugged her shoulders, "Haven't a clue. He just rushed me as I was walking to the bus stop. Lost my hat along the way too. Damn."

He paused before laughing at her. "What?"

"You almost got mugged, raped, or kidnapped and you're worried about a hat?" He laughed and soon she was laughing too. "A bit weird I know. I just really liked it." She said and they entered a comfortable silence when he stuck his hand out, "Names Jun."

She slapped her hand into his with a grin, "Natsumi. Who was your buddy?"

"Koga. He said to come there if your ever in need of a rescue." She snorted at that before looking up as the bus stopped. "This is my stop. Will you walk me the rest of the way Mr.Hero?" She asked with a teasing grin as he laughed. 

"If my lady will allow it." They talked idly now more at ease as he kept a arm around her for protection. When they came across a small home she reached into her jacket pocket and pulled forth some keys, "This is my stop. See ya around, Jun." He watched to make sure she entered safely before taking his leave. However before he fully left his hand grazed her mailbox lightly with a faint light that faded as quickly as it came. He quickened his pace to leave and acted as though he'd done nothing.