Ordinary Chapter 1

I looked down at my bland breakfast with my spoon in hand. It's only been a few months since I started living by myself. I was happy don't get me wrong, but I do miss the delicious food I was served at the orphanage. I never want to go back though. I dove my spoon into my cereal and took a bite. My apartment is small but nice. I had a bathroom, a kitchen, a laundry room, and all the other essentials. The landlord let me off easy and lowered the rent a little just because of my age.

I grew up in a large town where not much really happens and when it does its typically not something big. The only big thing that happened was at the orphanage I lived at, it was discovered that the caretakers there were part of some kind of blood cult, but when police arrived to arrest them they were gone and have been missing since.

I finished my breakfast quickly and got ready for the day. I slipped on a red and black jacket and a pair of converse, before heading out the door I grabbed my skateboard and my phone. Finally I bolted out the door and ran down the hallway towards the stairs. After climbing a few flights of stairs I rushed out of the door to the apartment complex and jumped onto my skateboard taking off down the sidewalk of the lively street. I slipped earbuds on and started listening to music watching cars zoom by with the glint of fiery yellows and oranges from the rising sun.

I finally stopped in front of the best café in town and took an earbud out with a wide smile. When I walked in the smell of coffee filled my mind and I walked up to the man at the register. The café is quite new to town but quickly became busy not just because the food and the coffee that is to die for but because the inside is so nice. The café had booths lining the sides of the building and comfortable stools at the front counter where you can watch the baristas make coffee. The stools and booths were a light tan with black granite countertops. Above the tables hung lights with red marble globes. The walls were light brown with black features.

After ordering some coffee I went over to a booth and took a seat. I pulled out my phone and started to get absorbed in media when a tap of a cup on the table ripped my mind away. I looked up and saw two cups of coffee one black and the other was a Frappuccino. After examining the cups I saw who had set them there. It was my best friend Jeremy. I could never mistake that white hair and red eyes since I've known him basically my whole life. He was wearing a blue shirt and a black jacket as well as some black pants. His hair is nicely cut and slightly spiked off to the right but he doesn't have long hair so it's more of the direction his hair is going.

He took a seat with a soft smile and pushed the Frappuccino over to me. I grabbed it and happily started to drink the cold delicious coffee.

"So, what's your plans today?" Jeremy asked leaning back in the booth occasionally taking a sip of coffee.

"Well, after this I'm going to work all day since school is out for summer I have the time now," I said leaning forward eagerly telling him about my plans.

"Oh yeah, your working at GamEats, right?" He said also leaning forward now that I've engaged in a conversation.

"Yeah I am, it's really fun! I get a free meal at the end of the day and the pay is very generous!" I said with excitement in my voice because I truly did love my new job. "Also the best part is that I get fifteen percent off new games," I boasted with my eyes closed proudly.

"That sounds like an amazing job, but working with my family is something I have to do," Jeremy said with a smile as he sipped his coffee.

"Yeah, I would work with my family if I had one, heh," I said letting my enthusiasm slip and I looked down at the table.

Silence fell across us after me bringing that up. Jeremy awkwardly leaned back again and pulled out his phone.

"What time do you have to leave?" Jeremy asked breaking the silence like a knife to butter.

"I have to get to work by ten thirty, what time is it?!" I said jumping up from my seat. I quickly snatched my phone and looked at the time, it was ten twenty-five.

"Sorry! I have to go I'm going to be late!" I said quickly putting an earbud in my ear and shoving my phone in my pocket. I ran out of the coffee shop waving quickly to Jeremy on the way out. As soon as I the door behind me shut I took a running start and dropped my skateboard jumping on top of it. I slowly picked up speed because the road to my work is a downhill slope. I passed many different people carrying a variety of objects and some people were just sitting under trees waiting for someone or something.

Down the street I could see the large fountain of the roundabout. My work was part of the roundabout one of a few stores that are there on the edge of the park. GamEats was on the very edge of the roundabout next to the path that lead into the community park. And past the park is nothing but lush forest and wildlife. The fountain was a white marble with a gold fish spitting water up in the air and there is also a ledge for people to sit and enjoy the day.