𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯

𝘨𝘪𝘢

i walked into my apartment and got out an over-night bag. but i couldn't stop thinking about what jack's grandma said.

why would she think i'm trying to be vincent's mother? if i wanted to be a mother to a child i would have my own. she seems to not understand that when you spend a lot of time around a young child, especially as a female, they tend to grow attached to you and look at you as a mother figure.

it's basic psychology.

i hastily grabbed some clothes out of my dresser and slammed them into my bag. i roughly opened my closet door and yanked some pants and shirts from the hangers before angrily shoving them inside of the bag.

"gia you okay? you seem a little angry."

"nope. just peachy."

i stomped into the bathroom and grabbed my toothbrush out of the holder along with my toothpaste. i stomped back out, slamming the door behind me.

what if she talks to mrs. gilinsky and convinces her i'm some kind of weirdo or something? if i lose my job over a stupid old bi-

"are you sure you're okay gia?" jack said.

i let out a huff as i ran my fingers through my hair.

"i'm just worried, what if she talks to your mom and convinces her to find another babysitter? then i'll be out of a job and i won't be able to see vincent anymore!" i said as i threw myself backwards onto my bed.

"hey," jack started, i sat up and turned to face him, "i won't let that happen. i don't know why my nana is acting this way. but i'll figure it out and trust me, her and my mom do not get along so i doubt my mom will listen to anything she says. you have nothing to worry about." as he finished his comforting rant he picked up my hand and ran his thumb over my knuckles, sending goosebumps up my spine.

i nodded quietly and got up, these clothes were uncomfortable. but i also didn't want to make a bad impression so i'll just change whenever i get to the gilinsky's house.

"we should go." i said as i picked up my bag and my keys off the counter.

we walked into the elevator and out to my car. i put my bag in the backseat and started the car.

"do you care if i play music?" i asked. he shook his head.

i hooked up my phone to the Bluetooth and started playing some early 2000's rock music. jack looked over at me and raised an eyebrow.

"it helps me get my anger out." i said as i started driving towards his house.

once we made it to the driveway i got out and got my stuff, locking the car behind me. we walked up to the door, jack opened it and walked inside. me in suit.

"enough elizabeth." i heard as lisa walked across the dining room and into the kitchen. her mother in law behind her, both of their backs to us.

"all i'm saying lisa is that vincent is growing too attached to her and she's just a young college student who isn't mature enough to be responsible for a toddler!" 

jack let out a forced cough, making them aware of both of our presence.

i couldn't continue to be disrespected like this, i'm aware she's an elder, but that doesn't make her any less ignorant.

"with all due respect ms. elizabeth, i've been babysitting since i was a sophomore in high school. i'm now a sophomore in college so rest assured i have plenty of experience. i have a cpr and a first aid license, i'm currently majoring in the education of young children and minoring in child psychology. i graduated high school with an ap diploma and all honors and a red cord for being a regular blood donor. not to mention i have and always have maintained a 4.0 gpa throughout high school and college, and got into college on a full-ride academic scholarship. all while being able to babysit vincent full-time. so excuse me if you think i'm irresponsible, but i was chosen to babysit vincent for a reason and that's because i'm more than responsible enough." i said. it felt nice to get that out. once i finished talking i drew in a breath, and looked around.

everyone was looking at me with wide eyes, including jack's grandma.

"well there you have it elizabeth. we're not letting her go." lisa said as she grabbed her hand and david's hand as they walked out of the front door.

"wow." jack said from beside me.

"what?" i asked.

"that was badass. i didn't know you were that smart. but how do you do all that when you babysit my brother almost everyday of the week?" he asked.

"well right now we have one week left of Christmas vacation, and then when school starts back up i watch vincent from 7am to 6pm and then i go to night school. it's mainly for people with children and what not but my professor thought that me basically being a nanny was a good enough reason to be a candidate for it." i said shrugging.

"you're literally superwoman. juggling a three year old, college, and maintaining a 4.0 gpa? i have no idea how you do it." he said walking closer to me.

"well it's not easy, but it's worth it. i'm doing the two things i love most." i said like it was obvious.

"yeah? what's that?" he asked as he brushed a piece of hair behind my ear.

i was realizing how close we were, it was making the heat rise to my cheeks. his fingers lightly brushed my face, giving me chills.

"spending time with vincent and accomplishing my dream." i said quietly.

"you're amazing gia. just amazing." he let his hand rest on the side of my face and his thumb run under my eye, before backing away and walking towards his room.

what just happened?

did me and jack just have a moment?