𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯

𝘨𝘪𝘢

me and jack decided to take vincent to the park before mrs. gilinsky and the others came home.

we were sitting on a bench watching vincent run around with the other kids, comfortable silence resting over us like a blanket.

"hey gia?" and the silence is broken.

"yes jack?"

"i've been kinda wanting to ask you something but i never really had the guts until now."

"well, go for it."

he grabbed my hand in his and turned to look at me. to show i was listening, i turned to face him and set my other hand on top of his.

"can i take you out? like on a date. to get to know you better?" he asked.

"well i'll have to check my schedule you know, make sure everything's clear and.." i looked over at him and saw his face fall in disappointment.

"i'm kidding jack. i would love to go on a date with you." i said smiling. he looked up at me and returned the smile.

"tonight. let me take you to dinner around, 7 o'clock?" i nodded.

"sounds great." he leaned over and kissed my cheek, then ran off to the playground and slung vincent over his shoulder.

i watched them play together, vincent giggling and slinging his arms at jack's back. jack laughing and telling vincent he was taking him away to his evil dungeon.

it was nice seeing vincent so happy with jack. he'd missed his big brother, and he talked about him almost everyday when he found out he was coming home for christmas.

speaking of christmas, it's in two days and my parents haven't said a word to me, nor my sister.

they live in bellevue, which is only about 20 minutes away from omaha, where i live. me and my parents aren't exactly close ever since i decided to move to omaha when i turned 18. at first i was rooming with a friend, and everything was okay between me and my family. then she started skipping payments. and when i came home one day she had packed up and moved away to colorado with her boyfriend without even telling me. i had to ask my parents to help me pay the other half and then i found the job with mrs. gilinsky. she pays good, so i didn't have to have their help anymore.

but they still weren't happy about it.

maybe i should call them? see if they have anything going on?

as if on cue my phone started ringing. i dug it out of my purse and saw mrs. gilinsky across the top of the screen. i sighed, then answered the call.

"hi gia! i was just calling to let you know that we are on the way home and we're bringing take out."

"sounds great mrs. gilinsky. me and jack decided to take vincent to the park for a minute but we've been hear a while so we'll pack up and head that way."

"how many times do i have to insist to call me lisa? but sounds great sweetheart, we'll see you there."

"see you."

as she hung up i stood and walked over to where jack and vincent were to let them know that it was time to go. vincent was exited to see his mom, and excited for the takeout.

jack grabbed my hand as we walked vincent back to my car, and started the drive back to their house.

once we arrived mrs. gilinsky and the others had just pulled up into the driveway.

"momma!" vincent squealed as he hopped out of the car and ran to mrs. gilinsky.

i smiled as she dropped her duffle bag and swooped him up into her arms.

i miss being like that with my mom, when i didn't have to question how much she actually loved me. why am i thinking about my parents so much? jesus it's depressing.

i followed them all inside and we sat at the dining table after we ate. i listened to them all talk about plans for the holidays, how excited elizabeth was to see molly and laura.

"what about you gia? any plans for the holidays?" david asked. everyone turned to me, awaiting an answer.

"well so far not really. i was actually thinking about calling my parents later to see what they had planned."

"you mean christmas is two days away and you don't even know what you're family is doing?" jack's grandmother asked.

was this woman ever going to give me a break?

"mom!" david whisper-yelled.

"no it's fine. um, me and my parents aren't that close. i was adopted when i was thirteen and i've always felt more like a niece than a daughter. so no, i don't know what my family is doing."

silence fell over the table as i revealed the information. a look of pure embarrassment flooded over elizabeth's face as she realized her judgement isn't always good-natured.

"if you would like, you can spend christmas with us gia. you're always welcome here, we consider you a part of the family." mrs. gilinsky said as she reached across the table and grabbed my hand.

i felt jack grab my hand from under the table, his thumb rubbing soothing circles.

"thank you guys. but i'm sure they'll plan something."

the rest of lunch was quiet and awkward. i kind of ruined it. i probably didn't have to say i was adopted. maybe that was too much information.

when i left to go get ready jack assured me that he was always here if i ever needed anything, and gave me a quick but sweet kiss after i got in my car.

as i drove home i couldn't stop thinking about my parents. if they had something planned, we're they keeping it from me on purpose? no, of course they wouldn't do that. they're your family gia! of course they'd want to see you on christmas.

i just couldn't shake the feeling that this christmas was going to be different, and i wasn't sure if it was a good feeling or a bad feeling.