Chapter I

-Hey Lola, I need some privacy tonight. Can you... umh, spend the night somewhere else?-

I grumble annoyed because I don't need to open my eyes to see who's talking to me. It's Lorenzo, my older brother.

-Are you kicking me out of my own house?-

-You could do a sleepover with your weird nerd friends- he says. By his tone I can tell he is amused.

Okay, now I'm angry. Nobody can insult my friends. I quickly open my eyes and I pinch his arm. He tries to hide an expression of pain, but I know I'm hurting him. That's brotherly love for you.

-Please, I invited a girl over. She's special. I don't want to ruin things with her- he explains.

I roll my eyes. My brother always says that. Every single time he tells me "this girl is special". I don't know if he is trying to deceive me or himself, or maybe both.

-Fine, but my room isn't available for your splishy-splashy session . Or the sofa. Or the kitchen table. These zones are off limits-

He burst out laughing.

-Splishy-splashy?- he asks narrowing his eyebrow.

-You know what I meant-

He laughs again and places a kiss on my forehead. He whisper something like "you're the best" while leaving the garden. I'm alone on my beach chair again, enjoying the pleasant breeze and the sunset.

It’s the first day of summer. Sun's out. My parents will stay in Mexico for a whole month. Just a courtesy visit because my aunt delivered a male child. My parents emigrated in the States twenty years ago. They rarely go back to their hometowns, but they are very devoted to their families and roots. It's the first time that they leave us for so many weeks. I still can't believe how they trusted us. Well, not us. But my brother.

Because, for your information, my idea of summer is limited to getting tanned, reading novel after novel and watching movie after movie with my two friends: Georgia and Sam. But for my brother is a completely different story. If he doesn't end up in troubles, troubles find him anyway. He's very popular at school because he's the captain of the soccer team. The majority of the female population in my school finds him attractive. Ewwww. And to make matters worse, his two best friends are Harry Styles and Alex Cooper. They are so cocky, reckless and arrogant. I swear I want nothing to do with them!

First of all, I don't even think they know my name. They just call me "Lorenzo's little sister", and not to ask me about my day. It usually goes like:

-Hello Lorenzo's little sister! Where's the bathroom?-

-Hello Lorenzo's little sister! Your brother just sent me to get some snacks. Would you help me?-

Anyway, I text Georgia that I'm coming over for a sleepover (her parents absolutely adore me and they don't even mind if I show up without an invitation).

I pack my overnight bag and although I like to think I'm very organized, I just throw some things in my bag. Toothbrush, a grey pair of shorts, a white tank top, a scrunchy, a charger and my slippers. That's it.

When I arrive at Georgia's house, I find her parents cooking dinner for us.

-Lola, they never cook like this when you're not around. They love you more than their own daughter- she says dramatically.

Georgia and I met in kindergarten. At first we hated each other because I used to steal her candies. Such a bratty thing to do, I know, but I wasn't evil... Just an hungry kid. I'm hungry like 23 hours out of 24. But then a new girl arrived, Rhea Bells. She was mean most of the time, so we teamed up against her and we became partner in crimes and friends. In middle school we met Sam Young. She was constantly made fun of by Rhea because she was really smart. Literally the smartest kid you will ever meet. So once again, from the hate for the same person, a new friendship had started. Unfortunately, Sam's parents are very strict and they don't allow her to go to parties or to have sleepovers with us. We can't see her as much as we wish.