Chapter 1

“Today, you all celebrate the beginning of your future. As recruits of the Colonial Government, you will serve a great purpose. Soldiers. Engineers. Scientists. The starters for new planet colonies and the next generation of loyal overlanders.” The clean cut man smiled for the first time in four years. “Congratulations.”

The small class let out a controlled cheer, and split up in the party room among their families. One cadet stayed put, and waited for the others to clear out of her way, before stepping up and approaching the General. “Sir?”

He looked down, and she saluted; Arm across her chest as a silent pledge to her people. “I wanted to inquire about the liftoff time for our departure. You said tomorrow, but Should I expect to be up early?”

“The ship leaves at exactly 0800, Cadet Lazuli. I appreciate your concern for being on time.” He looked up at the others, standing and mingling with other classes and their respected families. “Stars knows your peers have an utter lacking in that department…” He paused, turning back to her. “...As impressive as they are, of course.”

“I look forward to serving the Government.” She said, smiling. “I have worked for this since I was eight. Serving as a soldier… protecting our people, wherever we roam.” She glanced down at her peers. “...I know better then anyone here that family should be protected.”

The officer simply nodded, and looked down on them in silence beside her for a few moments, but sighed, reaching and patting her shoulder to break her from her trance. “Go, enjoy yourself. Not too much, but you’ve earned it.” He slowly walked away, putting his arms behind his back and Leaving the Cadet by herself.

She crossed her arms over the railing, looking down again, and letting a small tired smile spread over her face as she watched her peers play around below her.

“Soon.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“You can’t tell me you’re AFRAID.” She sputtered, putting her hand on her suitcase. “It’s a completely safe ship. We are some of the best produced cadets, they wouldn’t risk it. Besides, It’s a model my dad flew MANY times. The ride is smooth.”

“Okay, but as and engineer I can’t help but point out the structural flaws of the A310. The wings are too short to provide the best landings possible… The landing gear has been know to malfunction, the tech is not up to date-”

“You worry far too much, Pearl. If you weren’t as smart as you are I don’t think I could put up with you.” She laughed and playfully punched the slightly taller girl in the arm. “Relax. There are separate safety pods for each pair of passengers in case of an emergency. And I doubt there will be. Hundreds of thousands of cadets have shipped off in ships JUST like this.” She pushed her forward. “Now move, please. I’m not gonna be late because of you.”

“You won’t be!” the taller squawked. “You’re so pushy, Lapis.”

The trip to the launch station was relatively quiet then, and as they got closer Lapis felt her heart beating faster. She smiled when the ship came into view, seeing only a small scattering of other cadets there. They were all bidding farewell to their parents. They wouldn’t see them in person for at least two years. The standard.

She didn’t think about it too long. Her and Pearl gathered their bags from the cab and quickly made their way to the ramp where they needed to be. From which they would leave colony c-3 and be on their way toward the Government defensive fleet.

“Wow…” Pearl murmured, as the two approached the gates. “It’s bigger in person. Just… Wow…” The skinny girl let out an uncharacteristic chuckle, turning to her companion. “Okay… I am pretty excited. The new tech being developed on the GDF is astounding… and planets around there are thriving too!”