Prt 1

20XX, UNDISCLOSED LOCATION

Tony Stark groaned and sat up, one hand reaching up to massage his head in an attempt to ease his growing headache. What the hell happened? he wondered, eyes still closed. The last thing he remembered was watching the Hulk slam the God of Mischief into the ground like a rag doll and then...

Tony wrenched his eyes open in a panic, the pain lining his muscles and his unawareness of his own location reminding him all too eerily of Afghanistan. Did we lose? Did Loki do something? As soon as he had his eyes open, Tony searched around himself frantically, quickly taking in where he was and who was with him.

The first people he saw were the other five Avengers, Director Fury, Agent Hill—and Loki himself. The sight of Loki made Tony freeze for a moment, the phantom terror of free-falling from his tower balcony returning to him in a rush. He quickly realized that Loki, just like the other Avengers and the members of SHIELD, was sprawled out on the floor unconscious, however, which eased his worries slightly.

Tony frowned. As relieved as he was to find out that Loki clearly couldn't have been behind this, the revelation didn't help answer any of his questions. He picked himself up off the floor, swallowing down a strangled gasp when his whole body shrieked in pain, and twisted around slowly, eyes greedily drinking in his surroundings.

Aside from the first eight people he found, Tony spotted a number of others scattered throughout the room. His eyes widened in surprise when he easily recognized Pepper, Rhodey and Happy to be among the crowd. What the...? Why are they here? Are they hurt?

He forced himself to set his concerns for them aside for the moment as he scanned the rest of the people. In one corner of the room, a group of seven people were gathered: two Africans—a man and a teenage girl—a brunet with a metal arm (Wait, metal? Am I dreaming? Tony wondered to himself), a young woman with wavy auburn hair, a dark-skinned man in heavy brown coat, another brunet dressed in flannel, and strangely enough, a red-skinned (Seriously, red? I must be going insane) humanoid in a cape.

In another corner laid three teenagers along with his bodyguard and longtime friend, Happy. For some reason, Happy was located all the way to the side of the room, even though Pepper and Rhodey were elsewhere. The teenagers didn't look like anything special—Tony had to wonder why they were here, too, amidst superheroes and super-spies and, apparently, men with red skin. Two of the kids, a girl with curly hair and a heavyweight boy with possibly Filipino roots, looked as if they had just come from school, what with their casual t-shirts and book bags. The third teenager, on the other hand, looked worse for wear: his hair was unkempt and matted with blood, his pale skin was bruised in odd places, and he was dressed messily in a pair of ripped jeans and a bloodied hoodie.

Jesus, Tony thought to himself, a pang of worry shooting through him despite himself, what on Earth happened to that kid?

Tony was drawn out of his sympathy by a muttered curse a few feet away from him. He jerked back to alertness, eyes swiveling back around only to come face-to-face with Natasha Romanoff regaining consciousness.

"Tony?" Natasha blinked once, then twice. Her eyes narrowed as if she had just processed their current situation. "What happened? Where are we?" she demanded in quick succession.

"No idea," Tony replied, "and, uh, no idea for the second question, too."

Natasha rolled her eyes at him, visibly unimpressed. "Who else is here?"

Tony shrugged and waved grandly at the space around them as if to say, Take a look for yourself. When she arched an impatient eyebrow at him, however, he was quick to answer, "The rest of the Avengers, some of your SHIELD friends, and funnily enough Loki, are all here. There are also some other people who weren't involved in the battle against Loki—I saw Pepper, Rhodey and Happy, but I didn't recognize anyone else."