A Bad Prank

"You know what would be funny?"

Sans was asleep in the living room. Undyne had noticed the moment she stepped in, much like she noticed the stench of the inedible spaghetti Papyrus had tried to prepare. To say it was a failure was an understatement. A new stove was needed now.

"What?"

Undyne leaned in, blue scales pressed against the table. "If we prank Sans. Get him back for his dumb pranks he's done on you."

That was an idea Papyrus was open to listening to. It wasn't like he hadn't thought of it before, he simply never had the chance to act on it. Today seemed to be the perfect day to finally get back and give Sans a taste of his own medicine.

"That sounds amazing!" Papyrus said, "He's been getting away with too many pranks! Like how he switched the milk top for a ketchup container top! I had to squirt out milk for a week, it was terrible!"

"Yeah, punk, we gotta prank him back!" Undyne said, sharp fingers digging into the wood. "Got any ideas?"

"Why don't we soak all of his socks in water then freeze them outside?" Papyrus asked, "I know how it is to wear frozen clothes, and it'll force him to do laundry for once!"

"What?" Undyne asked, almost repulsed by his response. "No, that's wimpy! We gotta hit him hard, make the punk regret ever pranking you! One giant prank to trump them all!"

"Yes!" Papyrus felt excited, soul humming happily. "What do we do?"

"Well..."

Undyne snickered, red hair bouncing as she turned curtly towards their walk in pantry in the corner of the kitchen. Sans never went in. They both knew this.

"Let's put him in there, let him wake up and freak out."

The excitement that Papyrus was feeling previously bubbled down, the high flattening after Undyne gave her idea. A glance towards the walk in pantry was taken by the tall skeleton before he looked back at his friend.

Sans was claustrophobic. It was a fact well known, and rather obvious. One of the very few reasons Sans even continued to work as a sentry was because he got to move around outside, he didn't like to be forced into cramped positions.

The fear stemmed from a childhood issue including their Father, a detail Papyrus and Sans would rather not discuss with her. Undyne didn't know about what their Father did to them in their younger years, but she was warned about Sans' fear of closed spaces with no escape. It was why he never used elevators, he once broke down crying inside of one when he thought it got stuck between floors. Sans wasn't very fond of being trapped in enclosed spaces. Undyne knew this, they told her.

So why was this a suggestion?

"Aw, come on, don't be a wimp!" Undyne said, punching his shoulder. "We'll let him out eventually! And he has to learn not to make dumb pranks, doesn't he? He'll be fine!"

Papyrus gingerly rubbed his now aching arm where she just hit. "Are you sure? You know Sans hates being trapped, I think this might be going too far."

"Of course not!" Undyne insisted, grabbing his shoulders. "He's a total wimp, this'll get him to toughen up! Not to mention how revenge is in order, giving him a little scare is what will set him straight. It's just a prank, he'll be fine."

Papyrus was never home whenever Sans got punished. While he went to school, their Dad would lock Sans away into a closet, leaving him there for hours. He would always be out by the time Papyrus got back, shivering on the couch. Papyrus understood where the fear came from, but he never witnessed it in action. Maybe Sans grew out of it a bit now? It would just be a prank, and Sans' pranks were always harmless.