1.

Evelyn Collin

Breathing deeply, I inhaled the natural woody smell from the forest as I stretched out my legs and leaned back against the big tree trunk.

Closing my eyes, I let the warm rays of sunlight seep though my pale skin.

Finally away from the hectic life, I thought as I listened the rush of the river and the chirps of birds.

Nature has always been an escape place for me. Whenever I get too stressed out, the first place I would run to would be the forest.

Living with my adoptive family wasen't so bad, but it was living with Katy was literally hell. My 'mom' and 'dad' adopted me off the streets when they saw me scavenging for leftovers at garbage cans.

They gave me a roof over my head, provided me with food and cared for me, and for that I am very grateful. However, it was Katy that made my life like hell.

Katy was my adoptive parents' real daughter. She was only at the age of six when I became part of this family, well sort of.

For some weird unknown reason, she feels like its her job to make it obvious that I don't belong in her family and I'm just a burden.

In school, she spreads nasty rumors about me, saying that I have some weird illness that is highly contagious, and tells everyone of how much of a weirdo I am.

Of course she succeeded, and everyone avoided me like plague.

She then persuades her parents to give me the smallest room in the house, explaining that I 'loved' small and crampy spaces, and also to exclude me in every family outing they had, by saying that I wasn't interested or wasn't feeling well.

I hardly ever say anything, she does all the talking for me.

But the good side of the situation, is that our house is literally right next to a forest. This is what I liked best. Having the freedom to run away from everything to a place where I will never be judged for who I am.

Sighing, I watched as the sun began to set.

"Time to get back home."