Prologue: Blood and water

Dedicated to Ash and Crow

Preface

Bal'a dash, malanore (greetings, traveller). A bit about me and this book: I have played World of Warcraft on and off since vanilla. I absolutely adore everything about the rogue class, elves, stealth characters and mechanics in video games, but I wanted to create a character that doesn't follow that typical archetype. Someone flawed, with potential.

A couple of years ago, someone asked me what my World of Warcraft roleplay character's backstory was. She didn't really have one at the time, so I started writing something and it... got a bit out of hand to say the least! Two years later and I ended up with what you're reading now. It's the first time I've ever written a book and I'm glad I finished it.

More importantly, if you do read it, I would love to hear your feedback: good, bad and anything in-between. So please throw any morsel of constructive criticism my way (by emailing phoenixbloodheart@gmail.com or filling in this feedback form) because I would like to learn and improve from this. I have ideas for some other (non-Warcraft) original novels in the future and this is sort of my attempt at testing the waters. I'd also like to write more stories based on this novel's storyline in the future. You can sign up to my newsletter at dominicsacco.com to receive info on these.

This free fan fiction novel is inspired by (but not officially associated with) Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft franchise. Please note, some elements from the games have been reimagined in this novel, and all of the main characters in this book are my creation. So, fellow lore nerds who may feel the urge to flame me, please consider these points before doing so!

Finally, if I'm being honest, I feel that Phoenix is probably some kind of projection of myself. That wasn't done on purpose, but something I realised about halfway through the book. Although I'm enthusiastic, I have a short temper. Writing this character has helped me cope somewhat with my anxiety and at times reckless, emotionally-driven decisions. I have a bad habit of sometimes burning bridges (hey, I'm a Scorpio!) and this book has acted as some kind of therapy for that. I write about esports for my job, so this was a nice release from that too.

Please note, this book has some adult themes in it (sorry mum!) so I wouldn't recommend it to children.

I hope you enjoy what I've created and thank you for taking the time to read this.

Al diel shala (safe travels).

Dom

Acknowledgements

Thanks to Naariel for creating the artwork I commissioned (used with permission for non-commercial use). You can check out Naariel's website at naarielart.co.uk.