Chapter 18

Jamal's POV

Everything was weird after heat. I had to lie to my parents about the broken ankle and I had to use crutches for one month. I didn't know why I kept defending Mateo but I knew him better than anyone else.

He was broken, just like me. The more reason why we got along in the first place. No one knew about him as much as I did, well maybe except Somadina who seemed to figure everything out and Skye because she's my sister, but I intend to keep it as that. Elyon is better off not finding out, Mateo wouldn't want her to know. At least not yet.

He avoided us like a plague. Whenever our eyes met in the cafeteria, or in the hall way, he would look away. I wanted to believe he was feeling guilty. I always give him a benefit of doubt any way. Walking in a cast was difficult for me but with my friends, my sister, Elyon...I got a hang of it. Elyon would come by to the house sometimes to assist me. It made me feel special.

Tests and Exams went buy in a flash and I also got my cast removed. I haven't had a panic disorder in months and I feel light headed, fresher and healthier and it was because of a certain girl that has invaded my mind, my thoughts and no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get rid of her.

I didn't want to.

Inter house sport also came and went. Mateo got what he wanted, Blue house won but I couldn't help but notice his sober look when he went to get the trophy. He looked at me. We stared at each other for a while before I had to look away. He was feeling guilty, but I couldn't hold it against him.

He was broken.

Just like me.

But the only issue is...

I'm not bitter, like he is.

******

Christmas Break.

"We are having the Damijes over for dinner tonight. I need help in the kitchen Jamal." Mum poked her head into my art work shop. I groaned.

"Mum, I'm busy. Please, let Skye do it." I pleaded with her but she shook her head.

"No, I want you to be in the kitchen with me. We have a lot to talk about any way. We haven't talked in a while. Plus, Skye doesn't know how to cook casserole like you can." Mum smirked and walked away. She didn't have to tell me twice before I stood up to follow her.

I smiled with the thought of seeing Elyon. We've only spoken through video calls, chats, phone calls and from our windows as well. The goes most times to her mum's boutique so we barely see. Her family coming was just like a blessing is disguise.

"Why are you smiling?" Mum's voice pierced through my reverie and I looked up. She had a teasing smirk on her lips.

"Nothing. I was just thinking about something." I took out the bowls and started to wash all the ingredients.

"Or someone." She dead panned and I looked at her.

"Mum. Please." I muttered and she rose her hand in mock surrender and took out a clean pot.

"Forgive me for wanting to know about my son's life. We haven't had a reasonable conversation apart from your health. So I want to know what going on with you." She stated and I sighed.

Mum's and their emotional blackmail.

"Tolani and I broke up. It's been a while any way. Around the beginning of the term." I told her and She looked at me. Mum knew about my relationship with Tolani. Though she didn't fail to hide her displeasure towards it, she tried to be supportive.