Chapter Sixty-four

Swiftblossom gently touched Flaxpaw's side with her paw in an attempt to wake him up. The red-brown tom was curled up tightly in a ball, his ears flattened against his head. The calico whispered, "Flaxpaw, wake up," Nearby, Russetpaw and Briarpaw snored in unison, something that easily gave away that they were littermates. Lilypaw stirred uncomfortably and her tail lashed; Swiftblossom prayed that the white apprentice wouldn't wake up. She didn't.

Flaxpaw's green eyes opened and he slowly lifted his head, a yawn exiting his mouth. His whiskers were a bit crooked and the more she looked at her apprentice, the messier he was. Swiftblossom grew worried for him but it wasn't the entire reason why she wanted to wake him. 

"I'm awake," Flaxpaw murmured and slowly sat up, shaking his head. His ears flattened against his head and Swiftblossom's tail gestured for him to follow as she made her way to the entrance of the den. She heard the steps of Flaxpaw behind her and she held in a sigh of relief. As the two cats left the Apprentices' Den, Swiftblossom softly meowed to Flaxpaw, "We're going on a walk, hopefully, the walk will make you feel better."

Flaxpaw stared down at his paws, a bit unsure of how he felt about it. The calico rested her tail-tip on his shoulder before lifting her eyes to the sky. It was almost dawn, Swiftblossom had to hurry out of camp. "Come on," she urged, lightly jogging to the stone arch. Flaxpaw stayed beside her, his eyes set on the ground before him. They exited camp and Swiftblossom broke into the reeds, going in the direction of the Training Clearing. As she brushed through the reeds, she meowed to her apprentice, "My mentor and I took this shortcut all the time. Did Tortoisetail bring you here?" But he didn't reply back, to Swiftblossom's disappointment.

The reeds ended, and Swiftblossom leaped over a mossy log, her tail lifted high. She made her way towards the sandy clearing, but her plans were slightly different. Flaxpaw had still not spoken a word yet, which made him seem more like a shadow than her apprentice. The calico she-cat stepped unto the sand but she kept walking, passing through the clearing. Flaxpaw hesitated in his walk, not sure where Swiftblossom was leading him.

As the two cats wove through the willow forest, they stepped over roots and skipped over pebbles. Tallgrass brushed their pets and wildflowers touched their noses. Morning birds called and the rising sun touched the sky, making it a soft pink. But ominous, dark clouds swirled above, it would rain later. Swiftblossom always led him, and Flaxpaw was many pawsteps behind. What seemed like centuries of silence, Flaxpaw spoke. But his meow was quiet and strained, like something that he wanted to know for so long, yet held it back. "S-Swiftblossom?"

"Yes?"

"Why did you and your littermates hate me and Lichenface?" Swiftblossom stopped in her tracks, standing on top of willow roots. There was no breeze; the crickets and chirps of birds halted, it was as if the whole forest was listening. Flaxpaw finally caught up to his mentor and stood in front of her. The small rays of the rising sun touched his red-brown pelt, making it a golden hue. His green eyes darkened slightly. Swiftblossom closed her eyes and sat down, holding back the urge to hurry. Nectar and Hawk would have to wait for a couple of heartbeats.

The calico wrapped her tail around her paws and stared Flaxpaw in the eyes. He resembles so much of Redstar but also Lichenface. She thought while she chose her words carefully but truthfully. Finally, the she-cat spoke.

"Before you were born, Redstar was normal--" she used the term normal lightly, "--he was mates with my mother, Echoflower. Everything was bright and colorful for me, I had loving parents, supportive siblings, and a great clan. But that was when BoulderClan attacked." Her amber eyes blazed with frustration and her claws unsheathed, burying into the willow roots. Flaxpaw's ears pulled back in slight fear and he cowered back yet his eyes still held the determination to find out the true story.

"If it wasn't for that BoulderClan tom, or if any of my clanmates stepped in, my mother would still be alive today," Swiftblossom then suppressed her anger, realizing how terrified Flaxpaw looked. Her ears flattened against her head but she still looked him in the eyes.

"After she died, Redstar became crazy. He took Lichenface as a mate and tossed me and my siblings out of his life. Just in a few days, the faith in my own father and in my own clan had died with my mother. None of our clanmates stood up for me or my siblings... they just watched. Once you were born, I began to grow jealous because Redstar loved you." Flaxpaw lowered his head, the darkness in his eyes vanishing. But Swiftblossom wasn't done.

"But soon, it seemed that Redstar got better. His head became clearer, and I made peace with myself. I learned to accept you and Lichenface as my kin. I did this all because of my friends; it even restored my trust in my clanmates." She finished, gently staring down at some clover flowers that grew between her and the apprentice. Her paw touched a flower and it was cool and ease for her. "I could've spiraled into becoming a bad cat, but I found cats I could rely on. I know you must've hated me all this time but--"

Flaxpaw interrupted her and pressed his face into her chest fur. His body shook rapidly and his breathing became sharp. Swiftblossom held in a sigh and rested her chin above her brother's head. "It's alright, Flaxpaw."

He looked up at her, his green eyes wide and concerned, "You know, I never hated you at all." Flaxpaw sniffed and he took a paw to rub his nose. Swiftblossom's eyes widened in complete shock and her ears perked up. 

"I looked up at you, I wanted to be like you. You are a great warrior, Swiftblossom, and also a noble sister. I'm sorry that your mother died and that you went through such terrible treatment." Flaxpaw blurted out, blinking rapidly. The she-cat lightly chuckled and touched her brother's nose with hers, "It's alright, Flaxpaw. Things are different now. You're my younger brother, but also my apprentice..." She gently pushed him away so she could stand up. Flaxpaw backed away, composing himself from his emotional outburst. Swiftblossom lashed her tail and she gently told him, "Flaxpaw, we're going on this walk because I need your help. I have friends that want to join TideClan, and there are two kits and a queen."

Flaxpaw stared at her in bewilderment and asked, "Are these rogues?" Swiftblossom glanced up at the sky, as the sun was rising up against the horizon. She was going to be late if she didn't hurry. "Yes, but they're going to help us. We must hurry, please, Flaxpaw." she meowed, her paws itching to run. Please, Flaxpaw! she begged in her mind. He looked apprehensive at first, before he shook his head, "A-alright! Fine! But they're not harmful to the clan, right?"

"No. They wouldn't lay a paw on you," she reassured him, "Now, let's hurry. Follow behind me, we're heading to the Northern Forest." Swiftblossom broke out into a run, her body shaking with anxiety. Flaxpaw began to run as well, and she kept herself at a pace that he could easily remain behind her. Running was like therapy to Swiftblossom.

I've brought Flaxpaw into this. I just hope he won't be punished the same way, she thought of the potential punishments but brushed it off. No! I shouldn't be focusing on that. I'm already late to meeting Nectar at the border. 

__________________________

Flaxpaw is the tom who hides his feelings very well until he explodes. What do you think about Gold expecting kits? And how many do you expect her to have?

Also, trying to teach my four-year-old sister how to read and write. Not going well.

-Morgan