"that's my pretty girl"

ADAM BANKS POV:

"Good morning love. Happy birthday." I smiled and set down the bouquet of flowers I had brought with me, on the ground. "I brought these for you. The rest of the team is gonna stop by later today but i wanted to come on my own."

I kneeled down and sighed, running my finger over the letters ELLA written on the tombstone in front of me. It had been over 6 months since she died, but still I remembered that day like it was yesterday.

Ella had told me about the surgery and I was worried. But her being the beautiful and brave girl she was, she kissed me on the cheek and promised I'd see her in a few hours.

But hours passed. And more hours. And soon all the doctors came out, but Ella didn't. And I never saw her again.

The love of my life was gone, just like that. Only fifteen years old and with a promising future ahead of her.

I shook my head and focused back on the grave in front of me. "I thought we could have lunch together. Like we did last year. Sixteen is a big deal you know." I smiled as my lip quivered. A few tears rolled down my face and I quickly brushed them away. "Sorry, no crying today. I know you and you'd want me to be happy on your special day."

I unzipped the small lunch bag I had brought and pulled out a small container of spaghetti and tomato sauce. Ella's favorite meal.

"We have some cake too but we'll eat that with the team, okay? They're excited to stop by and visit again." I picked up my fork and took a bite.

"Here's to sixteen, Ella. I hope you're scoring lots of goals up in heaven. Oh who am I kidding? Of course you are!"

I sadly laughed and stared up into the sky. "That's my pretty girl."

_

the end. (i will be writing a very short follow up chapter about where all the ducks ended up in the future:)

words cannot express how thankful i am for the continued support of this book series over the past three years. i am so proud of these books and grateful for the opportunity to write on a platform like this with so many fans of the books. ella and adam's love story is beautiful and tragic and i LOVE IT. so again thank you and stay safe<3