beginning sidestory : one's duty

"How could an inferior guardian like you ever do something as sacred as watching over a human life? Defective scum."

Caspar kicked the ground from a mix of boredom and frustration

Caspar kicked the ground from a mix of boredom and frustration. Every day of his existence seemed to be filled with criticisms from people looking in from the outside. The ones who didn't understand anything about him. Why do they have the right to decide his own value? The eternal struggle of oneself and everyone else. It was a fight he was done trying to win against. There was no way to win, at least for him it wasn't possible.

"Caspar." A stern voice called his name from behind him. He turned around to see his 'mentor'. Byleth was looking at him with his usual somber expression. Despite his stoic disposition, he was quite popular amongst the guardian angels. Tall, handsome, kind, and muscular, his teacher had everything. Though he and Caspar were close, Caspar couldn't help but feel insecure around him.

Byleth was essentially the perfect guardian. The ideal and standard set for every guardian angel. Caspar on the other hand is the opposite. The bottom of the barrel, the worst outcome for any angel. It was ironic really. The golden angel having to teach the outlier of the community. Caspar shook his head to get rid of those kinds of thoughts.

Byleth approached him with a clipboard in his hands. "What's up teach?" He asked the other while crossing his arms. The professor then tilted his mouth into the smallest smile. Caspar looked at him in surprise and smiled back in tentative confusion. "Hey what's with the smile, you rarely ever show happiness let alone smile. What's the occasion?" He laughed nervously.

"You have someone to watch over."

Caspar paused and stared at the man in front of him, trying to fully comprehend what he had just said. "Teach, I didn't think you were the kind to pull jokes. Haha good one," he laughed awkwardly and pat Byleth's shoulder. The mentor turned serious once again. He wasn't joking. This was a real thing.

The younger's face went completely slack from surprise before he started jumping up and down like a child. Pure euphoria filled him as he bear hugged his mentor and continued jumping. "Thank you professor, thank you! I know you're probably the only reason why I have this chance!" He was simply filled with joy. Finally. He had a chance to show them all his real value. The purest smile illuminated his face. His mentor looked down at that face.

That gentle child who just wanted to be useful. Byleth lifted his hand and pet Caspar's head. "Enough of that. Go report to Rhea, she has the name and profile of your human. Try not to do something dumb." The younger laughed and waved his words away. As if he was dumb enough to waste this opportunity. He'd prove all the naysayers wrong.

"Prove that he deserved to have a purpose."