Prelude

Prelude

AMEERA

I tightened the black scarf wrapped around my neck as the cold autumn wind hit me continuously, I dabbed my eyes with my handkerchief once more to prevent the nonstop tears from falling.

As the priest rambled on, my mind wandered back to the past, the happy times when my now late sister and I chatted the hours away together in our bedroom, the ones when she would annoy me at school, the ones where she would defend me as much as she could when dad was angry with me.

Those thoughts cleared away quickly when I flinched from the touch on my shoulder. I looked up to see my mom offering a sad but reassuring smile. I smiled back then looked to the people surrounding me who were also paying their condolences.

I recognized some people from school, the after school job where we both worked and some relatives. I wasn't sure most of them actually knew Aleeya or even spoke to her but that was none of their business anymore, was it?

As my eyes wandered round again, a particular figure leaning on one of the trees farther away from everyone else caught my eye. Though blending in with us wearing black, his stature captivated me for no particular reason.

As much as I could see though, my eyes trained on the only distinguishable feature being his jade colored irises, the rest I couldn't identify because of the black hoodie he wore and the distance between us.

'Why is he standing so far away?' I thought, 'Weird.'

He finally caught my eye after staring at the coffin for so long and I flinched a little but stared a beat longer before glancing away.

I then walked up to the podium, mentally calming myself to recite the words I had struggled with for days in memory of someone I had known for years.