Chapter 1

I changed Shinso's birthday from July 1st to January 1st.

When kids turn seventeen, they get a name on their wrist. A name that's said to belong to their soulmate. That's why people make seventeenth birthdays such a big deal.

Izuku Midoriy's seventeenth birthday was currently being celebrated by his entire class. He was flattered that they seemed to care so much, at least most of them, but he couldn't match their enthusiasm.

His seventeenth birthday is something he's always dreaded. It wasn't unheard of to not have a name on your wrist after turning seventeen, and Izuku had a sneaking suspicion he'd be one of the unlucky few. Quirkless people were the most likely candidates to be soulmateless. 

It didn't help that Bakugou had been drilling into his head since he was a kid that he either wouldn't get a soulmate or he wouldn't deserve the unlucky person who got stuck with him.

"C'mon Midoriya! Stop being so grumpy!" Mina shouted over the music, trying to pull Izuku towards the make shift dance floor they had set up in the common area of the dorms.

"I-I'm not grumpy, parties just aren't really my thing." Izuku tried to explain, but it didn't appear that Mina had heard him. She just continued to pull him.

Izuku squirmed and eventually got out of her grasp, but she didn't seem to mind to much. She had already started to dance with some of the other girls and apparently had forgotten about the small, green haired boy.

It was a little sad, but Izuku wasn't complaining. He quickly dipped out of the party area and made his way up the stairs of the dorms, not wanting to risk running into any of his classmates. He quickly reached his destination, the roof, and let himself take a deep, relieved breath.

"They mean well, but this isn't what I wanted at all." Izuku mumbled to himself, taking a seat on the ledge of the roof and staring up at the night sky.

"What'd you want then?" A new voice spoke up, almost making Izuku tetter off the edge if it wasn't for someone grabbing hold of his arm. "Whoa, didn't mean to scare you so much."

Izuku whipped his head around and came face to face with Hitoshi Shinso. It didn't surprise him too much, seeing as class 2-B was also present at the party. "Oh uh, hey Sh-shinsou, right?" Izuku hesitantly asked.

"Yeah, Midoriya? It's your birthday, right?" Hitoshi asked, taking a seat next to the green haired boy.

"In about an hour, yeah." Izuku confirmed. It wasn't unusual for a seventeenth birthday party to happen the night before you actually turned seventeen so that at exactly midnight, you could check your wrist with all your friends and family.

Hitoshi nodded, but Izuku didn't see because he was already training his eyes on the sky again. "Are you excited to get your name?" He asked, not knowing why he actually felt like keeping the conversation going. It was probably just because he felt bad for the kid, it was his seventeenth birthday and he was hiding away on a roof top instead of celebrating. It was just... sad, really, but Hitoshi knew he'd probably do the same thing when his birthday rolled around. Parties weren't his thing either.

Izuku scoffed at the question, the only one he had been getting for nearly a month. "If I even get one." He muttered bitterly.

Hitoshi turned his surprised gaze to the other boy. "Why would you say that?"

"Why would I not? It's not like- never mind, you probably don't care about any of that." Izuku said, pulling his knees to his chest and resting his head on them.

The purple haired boy's eyes softened, just a fraction at his words. "I know I can come off like I don't care about others, but I've been told that I'm a good listener..." He trailed off, knowing that Izuku would pick up on his double meaning.