Chapter 1

Ten years ago

"No....no..please don't leave me

Rennnnnnnn...

Kai's p.o.v.

Jolting awake, panting hard, sweat covers me. Looking at the clock, its only four in morning. Catching my breath, I toss the covers and head for the shower. Walking in, stripping, I step into the cold water.

Letting the water hit me, my mind wonders. Back to that place, to the root celler me and Ren had been held at. Grabbing the shampoo, the skin around my wrists streach tight.

Washing my hair and body, I walk out and into the room. Silently dressing, I head for the deck of the Bounty. Kneeling on the wood, I let the morning sun take over the shadows. As I kneel, my mind goes back to that dark place.

"Let us go

"What do you want

"No...Ren stay with me

"Little brother.

I shake my head, trying to clear the memories. Getting up, going into the ship, I head for the kitchen. Coming in, looking at the calendar, I eyes go wide at the date.

A hand touches my shoulder, I look at my sister Nya. "Go, take the day." She tells me. I smile and head out.

Stopping at the flower shop, I bye a bucate of flowers. Heading for the cemetery, I head for the stone in the center. Changing the flowers, I touch the marble tombstone.

Kairen Smith

Born 2000-Died 2007

Beloved son, friend, and twin

A life taken too soon

I hang my head and tears fall. Pulling out a cupcake from the bakery bag, I light the candle. "Happy Day of the Departed, and Happy Birthday, little bro." I blow the candle out and slip it in half.

Setting half down, I eat mine, telling Kairen all that's been happening. The sun climes high and I head back. Coming in, sensei looks at me.

"Kai, your just in time ...." "Not today sensei, its not the best." I say, sadness heavy in my voice. Wu nods and I head for the shared room. Climbing on my bed, I pull out our picture. It was taken two weeks before Nya was born. Kairen and me were identical twins, only we could tell each other apart.

I miss you, little bro. I hope your happy. I'll seen you some day
Till we meet again, Kairen.

I roll over, tucking the picture away and close my eyes.