Riot

You stare at the mess before you. Clothes scattered everywhere, empty soda cans on the ground, and who could forget about the empty pizza box thats been sitting under bed you and your husband share thats been sitting there for who knows how long.

See, you wanted to surprise your husband, R, by doing a little spring cleaning. You could tell the mess was getting to both of you. Rotating between the same couple of shirts, having zero floor space and overall just killing the vibe of the room. So you thought you'd seize  the opportunity while he's at work to tidy the room up. The task won't be easy, but it'll be worth it to see happy look on R's face. 

"Here goes nothing..." You mumble to yourself scanning again at the room. You decide to start with waist thing first, clothes. Make a pile of dirty clothes to do laundry and put the clean ones in closet. You start with a pair of somewhat looking clean jeans. You pick up to take a whiff and gag. 

"Yup thats getting washed." You say tossing it onto the bed. Next you pick one of your tee-shirts. You take a whiff and surprisingly it seems pretty clean. You walk over to closet to put it away. 

"Good God!" You say out loud when you open the closet door. Junk, junk, and more junk stares back you. Then it dawns on you that last time you and R cleaned, you just took the mess and shoved it all in the closet. 

"Looks like I'm starting here." You huff.  You spend the next hour digging through the closet. Throwing trash away, folding clothes and more. Finally you can actually see the floor on the closet but something catches your eye. 

Is that...a truck? 

Confused, you pull it out. Is this one of R's things? Why had I never seen it before?

You flip up the two latches on either side and pop open the old brown trunk. As you raise the top you see whats inside...

Photos?

It takes you a minute as you stare the photo but then it hits you.

"Holy shit these are from 2020." Tears form in your eyes as you realize you're looking a protest photos. Those were so long ago...you and R had met after the abolition of the police but its no surprise he had attended those protests. Back then was so different...

You were so young back when you had attended those same protests yourself. The country had become so different after the abolition of the police and a new president...you had tried to forget those violent times. 

You set the photos down and pick up the next thing in the trunk.

Its a...helmet? 

Huh...did R do paint ball or something? And why was it with the protest photos? You set the helmet down and peek at what else is in the trunk. You see riot gear. Dark green faded bandanna, a patch of logo of anonymous and other gear. It all seems oddly familiar. You stare at it harder, thinking where you had seen this before. 

Then it hits you.

"Hey babe I'm home!" You hear R call out as hear the front door open and close. Normally you'd respond but you're too in shock to say anything. You hear his foot steps get closer and closer until he opens the bedroom door. 

"Hey-" R begins but he stops. You look up at him as he stares in shock at the trunk. 

"You're Riot." You say simply. 

R looks at you before sighing and closing the bedroom door. He walks over and picks up one of the photos you had set on the ground. 

"It was all so long ago." He says staring at the photo.

"Why didn't you tell me?" You ask softly. You and R were as close as could be, you're married after all. R stands in silent for a few moments before setting the photo down and looking at you.

"No one knew, no one could know. Its just...a part of me wanted to tell you but...I don't know. I guess I didn't know how." He says quietly. The two of you are quiet. 

"Its just back then, everything felt so wrong. Everywhere I looked there was injustices and innocent people getting hurt. People getting hurt for fighting for the greater good. It made me mad, and sad, and fuck every emotion under the sun. Excuse my language, but all I wanted was change. And everyone had to fight so damn hard for it. Back then it seemed like it would never happen." R says before turning from his old gear to you. You grab his soft gentle hands. 

"R, you helped that change. Back then everyone felt just as you felt. We we're all frustrated. But you were a beacon. A beacon of hope. You showed that anyone could fight for whats right. You gave countless people another reason to keep fighting, energy to not give up. You helped us Riot." You say. A smile forms on R's face. 

"I love you." He says. 

"I love you too." You say before giving him a peck on the lips. 

"And your secrets safe with me."