Help Wanted

"Another plumber wanted down at Vincelli's," I sighed, flipping the damp newspaper page. Damp, on account that I forgot to bring it in after the rain started this afternoon. "I think they need a better chef more than a plumber. I still have messed up bowels from that mastacolli."

My mother chuckled, grinding her cigarette butt into the ashtray I made her. I made it in elementary school, and used it to collect pennies. That was a long time ago...

"Ugh," I whined, "I can't find a job anywhere!"

"Calm down Maria, you will find a job sometime. You know they are always hiring at the gas station!"

Yeah. But most of the people who work there either get either murdered or robbed at gunpoint, I wanted to snap.

Mom was cooking ramen noodles for dinner, Jace's favorite. He should be home any minute from work. Jace is my brother, my best friend, and he has always been there since I was born. He has already graduated and in his first year of college. This fall, I will be starting my junior year of high school.

I heard the door open and saw my big bro walk through the door. His dark brown hair was slightly matted down with sweat, or rain. I couldn't tell. I sometimes liked to think he's exactly what I would look like if I were born a guy. We share my mother's jet black hair and my father's grey eyes. Jace and I both share the same facial features as well. His face was soft, but today it was tired. I could see it underneath his eyes.

"Hey Jace!" I called, quickly running to give him a hug.

"H-hey Maria," he stuttered, hugging me weakly.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Tired." His speech was slurred and his eyelids drooped. Jace has been different ever since he had began working at Freddy Fazbear's Pizza, more commonly referred to in this household as hell. My father, William Afton, is the cofounder of this franchise. Him and my Uncle Henry have been running this business ever since I could remember. It's a kids party place and arcade where you can eat junk food, play games, and watch animatronic animals sing and dance on a stage. It's a kid's paradise.

But the franchise has torn this family apart. After my little siblings and my little cousin disappeared under the care of my father, my mom filed for divorce and got full custody of the last two remaining children, us. William was not granted visitation rights. Jace has been working there ever since, trying to form a relationship with my father. And for me? That bastard can rot in hell. 

"Are you still looking for a job?" Jace asked, taking off his work shirt over his white tee shirt.

"Yeah. I'm struggling. Why?"

"There's an opening at Freddy's. Someone just quit. You should apply."

"Jace, for the millionth time, I am not-"

"Please." He interrupted. His face fell when he looked at me. "I need someone from the inside I can trust."

"You have friends there," I countered, folding my arms.

"I do have Gavin, but I want you there." My heart raced as my brother mentioned our other good friend. I haven't seen him since that day. The three musketeers distanced themselves from each other after we lost our siblings. We blamed each other, Gavin taking it the hardest. He was now an only child. I was thankful that I still had my older brother. "Maria. You need this. And it gives you an opportunity to see Dad and Uncle Henry and Gavin. You haven't seen them in years." That's true. I don't remember when the last time was when I saw my uncle or Gavin.