fifty seven

+

+

In one of the watch towers towards the perimeter of the village, I sighed deeply, pulling out the homemade bento from my small bag. I leaned against the railing and popped off the lid, tossing it on top of the bag. I pulled out the cute little chopsticks and smiled fondly at the sight of them, before picking at the neatly packaged food.

"My, Kohana-chan, thats quite the neat little lunch." Hummed Itazura, biting into one of his veggie wraps. He eyed my cute little bento, raising a knowing brow. "Did Mura-san spend some extra time cutting little shapes into the food for you?"

I blushed, picking up the little star shaped carrots with my chopsticks. I gave them a little look over, before smiling dopily and putting it in my mouth. I gave the crop cut haired boy a wink. "Maybe he did. Something wrong with that?"

Itazura chuckled. "No. Just wondering when one of you is gonna come out and ask the other on a date."

I shrugged. "I don't think anything has to change right now. I know how I feel about him... and he feels... however he does about me. I'm fine with the way things are."

I paused, picking at the crispy chicken laid over the perfectly cooked rice. Pursuing my lips, I let out a deep sigh, looking up at Itazura. "Actually... I have something I want to ask you about."

He licked at his fingers, reaching for his can of iced green tea. "Oh? What do you need?"

Placing my elbow on the railing, I looked over the side, hand hanging off the side, chopsticks still in between my fingers. I eyed the clouds floating above the busy village, one of the tasks for the chunin exams going on at the moment. They were doing some sort of elaborate capture the flag thing... but our job was just to make sure nothing came in the village to screw with it.

"Have you ever heard of a shinobi taking a long leave of absence from their village? For... personal reasons?"

Itazura snorted, sitting down on the backless stool next to the railing. He crossed one his arms over his chest and tucked it under his armpit, his other hand holding the can leisurely by his mouth. "No, can't say I have. Why...? Are you thinking of doing something like that? Never seemed like the type to ask for a vacation."

I shrugged, picking at my food. "Some things have come up in my personal life. I... I don't know."

Itazura shrugged in return. "I dunno. There's no harm in asking."

I pursed my lips, picking up a piece of glazed chicken and some rice coated in the thick sauce. I looked at it for a moment, before popping the meat into my mouth. A blush spread across my cheeks at the absolutely delicious flavor, and I had to put my hand to my face to prevent from embarrassing myself even more so.