1

Prom night.
Everyone was having the fun of their lives. Justin was with Jessica, Clay with Ani... And Alex with Charlie.
With Charlie.
Zach stared at them. How he wished to be with Alex. But instead he brought a hooker. He was pretending to have fun. But actually he wasn't enjoying himself. Seeing Alex with Charlie made him jealous. But it was his own fault. He should have told him how he felt. Not only about the kiss, but how he felt having the smaller boy around, in his arms. But he was a coward. To scared to stand his ground, to scared what others would think about him. He always was and for ever will be.
Alex deserved someone like Charlie. Someone so sweet, caring. Someone without any heavy burdens to carry around. Someone who wasn't a damn alcoholic.

He kept watching them. Alex was smiling. Everyone was smiling - but only his own smile was pretending.
He took off with his prom "date". And the next moment he remembered Alex and Charlie were entering the room, literally stopping him from assaulting the girl.
His mind was racing, the alcohol buzzing in his head. He heard Alex saying something about him being a mess. He saw Charlie staring at him, repeating his line he once told him "Be better."
They left the room as quick as they entered. Leaving Zach behind in rage. Not only because of what he almost did, but also because he saw how close Alex and Charlie were.
But what should he be jealous about. Alex was his best friend. And best frienda shouldnt be jealous about the other ones partner.

He didn't know how much time had passed since the couple left.
Zach sighed in anger and grabbed his jacket after adjusting his clothes. The way back outside led through a huge crowd of people dancing, some of which seemed to notice him, some of which don't. He bumped in some, didn't apologize. There was no need anyway since nobody cared. No one actually ever cared.
A short desperate laugh escaped his lips. Not even Alex. He only asked about what was going on with him once. The other time he simply didn't.
The time Alex was recovering from his suicide attempt Zach ignored everything, just to help his best friend through his dark times. He ignored his own struggles, he pushed his own needs aside only to see Alex smile again. And yet, the boy didn't do the same. Friends were supposed to look out for each other... Weren't they?
Lost in his thoughts he ran into Justin. Zach mumbled a rather not so audible apology to his friend who was looking at him in concern.
He reached his way to the parking lot. It was empty. Filled with cars only. Everyone was having fun inside while he was not.
He had no idea why he even came here. Only to see Alex and Charlie being together--as a couple? Only to make himself jealous?
He wanted to run away. Maybe jump from a rooftop.
He sat down on the pavement and let out another sigh.
His mind replaying the day of the car accident. Why was he even mad at Clay for doing this? Was it because he survived it? Was it because he wished he was dead?
Why couldn't he just have died. Being alive made no sense at this point anymore. His excessive drinking problem didn't came out of nowhere.

Zach heard footsteps approaching him, pulling him out of his own mind. In the corner of his eyes he could see someone in a white suit sitting down next to him.

"What are you doing here? Outside, alone?" he heard Justin ask.
"Could ask you the same. Y'should be inside with Jess."
Zach saw his other friend nood.
"But we also shouldn't ignore our other friends. Don't we?" a hand was placed on his back for a short second.
"I saw Alex and Charlie rushing outside with your date. And then only a few minutes later you followed. What happened?"

Zach scoffed. Of course someone saw it.
Still not looking in Justin's direction he waved his hand.
"Why don't you ask "Picture perfect couple" if they come back here? I think they can explain it to you better than I can since I'm a "mess" ." he didn't mean to snap. Not at Justin because he knew this boy only meant it in a good way.