part ten

the group of pogues were settled in on the dock outside of the carrera's house

the group of pogues were settled in on the dock outside of the carrera's house. with both of kiara's parents at work and her sister at a friend's house, they decided it would be the perfect time to test out the drone they had stolen; or "borrowed" as pope liked to put it to make himself feel better about the whole situation.

the drone was underwater, among where john b and kiara were swimming to test it's camera. jj and pope were up on the dock watching the footage that was streaming on the screen.

holding a thumbs up, john b smiled at the lens before swimming up to the surface, kiara following him.

the two vaguely overheard the argument that pope and jj were having as they arose from under the water.

"technically its not a drone its an rov-"

"shut up, shut up," jj cut the boy off, "it's too early for that man."

"hey once we get the footage of the wreck, we'll bring it to a lawyer in town and file a formal claim," john b said after shaking out his wet hair like a dog.

"it's such bullshit," jj rolled his eyes, "why do we have to do that?"

"well there is a maritime salvage law," pope told the blonde from where he stood near the drone screen. "you can't just go to the ocean floor and scoop a bunch of stuff up-"

"i know i know," jj cut the boy off once again. "it's just lawyers aint cheap bro."

"as soon as they see a footage they'll call for a comp," john b added.

"how do you know all of that?" kie questioned the brunette, still swimming in the water.

"cause my dad said it, like, a million times."

"yeah that's fair," kiara sighed as she began to climb out of the water and back onto the dock to join the two boys.

"this tether is like really long," pope began. "in the wrong weather, this thing could be pushed around."

"oh shit is it supposed to storm tonight?" kiara asked.

"uh yeah," pope said as if it was obvious, pointing to the dark clouds that were beginning to roll in.

"well then that means that riley-"

"hey what's that?" a girl's voice suddenly called from behind the bunch, as if on cue. they all turned around to see who it was coming from.

"- should be coming home soon," kiara grumbled, finishing her sentence.

"uh nothing," pope sputtered out, "it's nothing."

he and jj each took a step back towards the screen and where the drone tether was tied to the dock, trying to cover it from riley's view.

"hmm," riley hummed, furrowing her brows. "is that a rov?"

"my god," pope exclaimed raising his hands in the air, "at least someone knows and appreciates the technical term of the equip-"

the boy was cut off by being smacked in the back of the head jj standing next to him. "shut up pope."

"what are you guys doing with-" riley began.

"what are you even doing out here?" kiara groaned. "can you get lost."

her words cause riley to immediately narrow her eyes at her twin.

"there's a storm tonight," riley mumbled.

"i'm aware."

"you're gonna stay here right?" riley looked at her sister with concern. "you aren't gonna go back with them?"

kiara looked back to her friends. with john b out of the water and back up on the dock now, all three boys were staring at the twins.

"uh yeah," kie said turning back to her sister, "they were just leaving."

"i thought we were gonna-"

"jj," kiara cut the blonde off, using a stern voice.

"alrighty," he mumbled in a sarcastic tone as he looked down at the ground.

"you can go now," kiara offered a fake smile to her sister.

"bitch," riley muttered under her breath before turning quickly on her heel and walking into the house.

"alrighty well you heard the queen," kiara rolled her eyes. "time to get a move on boys."

"what's her deal with storms?" jj asked.

"dude you can't just ask those things," john b scoffed at the blonde. jj ignored him however and looked over at kiara, tilting his head, waiting for an answer.

"you heard john," kie brushed off his comment and the he just shook his head, realizing he wasn't going to get an answer.

"so the drone," jj started. "when are we thinking?"

"we'll have to go at dead calm," john b said.

"slack tide," kiara agreed, pursing her lips.

"so now, we just gotta wait around for the right weather." pope pulled up the drone and put it back into its case before the boys headed to the van.

"sayonara," the blonde saluted the girl as the three boys climbed in and john b started up the vehicle.

"kiara!" riley called from her window, motioning for her to come inside.

kie turned around and flipped her twin off, shaking her head before following riley's orders and walking back towards the house.