I Don't Love You

"Myoui Mina?"

"Yes honey, that's her name, and we'll meet them this Saturday and have dinner together"

"All right"

"I'm sorry that we arranged your marriage, but it's been your father's wish for Mina to be your bride. That's okay with you right?"

"I'm fine mother, as long as you happy, I'm happy"

"Thank you Chae" my mom said hugging me tightly.

Today mother shocked me with news that I'd get married to a girl whom I never met, the girl's father Mr Myoui was my father's best friend. They ran a tourist accommodation business, one of the successful leading hotel companies. I'd seen Mr and Mrs Myoui before only once when my father held a meeting, naming me as his heirress. Although I'm running my own restaurant, father still wanted me to work in his company and learn, because I'm the only child.

Hence, since I was a toddler, I received a rather special treatment compared to my friends who were around my age. Not a good kind of treatment though at least for me. I knew the intention was for my own well-being but did you really had to lock a ten years old girl from playing outside and forcing her to memorize the book Art of War. My childhood life was filled with extra language tutoring, factual books, and accounting. At that time, I had no clue what am I reading or what am I learning and the reason people treat me differently.

But as I grew up, I started to understand and realized what anticipated me in the future and what sat on my shoulder. I carried the fate of thousands of lives, not including their family. I was the heir of Korea's largest conglomerate. All the employees that worked under me were relying on me. One mistake and I could turn them into living a miserable life and that was the last thing I ever wanted to happened. I had a responsibility, a heavy and huge one. Hence, I'd devoted myself to work. I'd maintained the status of the best company and succeeded growing it and reached the level of multinational renowned corporation. I was proud of myself and my success, it gave me satisfaction.

In spite of that, I never actually have time for love or felt the enjoyment of love. I had no time, no space to for it. I did think about it once since I was being pestered by my cousin, and after fair judgement, there was more bad than good. I did not understand the point, why it was so important. If it was about happiness, I had it. Doing my work and finished it on time was my happiness, knowing that I had secured the company. I didn't want love nor I needed it. However, my mother thought differently, she thinks I'd my priorities messed up and I had to find the values of life. It might be the reason my mother wanted me to have someone. To be more human, had more feelings than just an emotionless robot caging herself inside her office.

And I guessed, I'd no issues whatsoever with arranged marriage or having spouse. For me, the problem did not lay in the sudden agreement that you were forced to marry someone whom you had no romantic feelings of. I was worried that it only added to the burden I had to lift. That now, I had another responsibility that I had to think of and care about. Just like another assignment I need to finish, another work needed to be done and that was marriage. The assignment for me to love someone else wholeheartedly.

I sighed and looked again at the picture that I'd been holding. A girl with a black dress that suited her and raspberry-red curls fell down her back. She had soft brown eyes flecked with every shade of the colour and glossed over so they sparkled like a hundred diamonds. Her pointy nose, thin lips and as if completing a masterpiece of art, it was finished after sprinkling stars on her face. I won't deny, she was beautiful.

*  *  *  *

"They will be here in a second," Said my dad. We'd been waiting for half an hour. My parents sat side to side while I'm on the left, besides my mom. They served a room that had a big range of sets of dining table and six chairs. All of us were on one side and the other for the Myoui's. I'd just rushed to this place after attending a board meeting explaining why I still had my business suit laid over my skin seemingly as a soul-coffin. I felt my true self was buried as I wore it all those long hours. Countless time, I tried to dig up that original-self of mine, the me who was born to love and play, but I think over the decades the layers get so deep it was too hard to resurface.