First Year Part I

Eritheia's POV

It's been two weeks since I started highschool and I already had attended two. Why? Because I did not like the first school that I enrolled in. I have to be an achiever which made me initially choose the first one. But I'm also a coward, the reason I ended with the second.

I liked that this school is known for sending off intelligent students to top universities. I heard that the dean always makes sure that the school has to be the first to secure top notch facilities among other schools. However, it's far from home. And it always gives me heart pounding episodes whenever I travel not knowing if I'll arrive on time or not, despite waking up even before the sun rises everyday. I hate being late. Then after those two weeks which actually felt like a month, I realized that it's not worth it. It's not worth travelling that far and forcing myself to mingle with my new classmates which are way out of my wavelength. 

Well maybe I have my own wavelength. And I'm a coward. Wait did I said it already? Well yes, I'm afraid of making new friends. Well there you go.

It was a good thing I passed the exam in our little town's oldest academy. How old? Well my parents, and even my grandparents have tattered, sepia photos of them in the academy's uniform hanging in our living room. They maintained the old vibe in it with classroom floorboards made of wood with random parts making shrieking sounds whenever you walk onto it. The wooden criss cross see-through walls still amazes me by how we managed to take classes there without being distracted. Because someone walking and being noisy in the alley can be easily heard. 

Or maybe it's just me. 

Because a focused me forgets everything else that's happening around. 

Another thing about old places? There are a lot of rumors about it being haunted by ghosts. Well I do not like ghosts. But I do not understand why it brings me excitement just by thinking about seeing one. Contradicting right?

I chose to not to give myself a choice though. I want to be in a place that I'm familiar with. It's much better this way. It's much easier this way. And I'm also closer to home. How close? Walking distance close. I thought I can already handle being far away but I was wrong. So what I did was to tell my aunt that I wanted to transfer schools. She did all the talking. And the next thing I knew, on a Monday morning, instead of waiting in the shed for a four-wheeled ride to school, there I was walking slowly so my white shoes won't get any dirt from the puddles on the sidewalk.

There was no opened massive green gate this time, but I entered a small rusty maroon gate, and proceeded to an indoor pavilion with students lined up waiting to sing the national anthem.

As far as I know, our classroom is located on the second floor. Student officers who look like they came from military with their green uniforms were lined up just before the flight of stairs. They are looking at the student's uniforms. One boy was given a ticket due to him wearing rubber shoes. I'm still in civilian clothes, wearing my favorite maroon knitted Gryffindor long sleeves and plain jeans since I do not have my uniform yet. I also have my brunette, wavy hair tied in a ponytail.

I was about to reach the first step of the stairs when one of the officers lifted his hand in front to stop me.

"Wait."

Oh no. I do not want to walk in class late. I do not want to be the center of attention if I did walk late. Because I do not know how I will respond or behave if that happens. But here I am half-hearing the question of the officer while my classmates are moving forward without me.

"Hey, are you listening? Why are you not in your uniform?", he said with a creased forehead.

Wow. He's scary. I'm not even guilty but I feel like I'm a criminal just with that gaze of his.