🏴‍☠️ The Futile Escape 🏴‍☠️

The thick polyester curtain was successfully blocking all traces of the outer world. The dark walnut bookcase lined the entire wall facing those expensive curtains. Even from this distance, she could vouch the captivating painting probably cost more than what she would get if she succeeded. The golden frame glinting in the beams of the bright light from the lamps around. Staring at the firm mahogany table, she realized every word of the advertisement was true. The room silently screamed of opulence and grandeur.

Her hands shook as she pulled the contract towards her, wondering if she should back out. Was it really worth it? Her brain taunted her, calling her pitiful. Maybe the confusion was evident on her face. The proprietor was looking at her keenly with a knowing grin gracing his features.

That's when she realized people backed off at this stage. The fear of the unknown gnawed their greed out of their consciousness. The stout man decked in fancy apparel, checked his expensive watch, and again his eyes flicked on the worn out girl in front of him.

The frigid weather did nothing to ease the beads of sweat trickling down her forehead. Her mind, although trying to erase the traitor thoughts, desperately failed to do so.

It had almost been a quarter of an hour, her shabby overcoat hung loosely to her lean frame. Her clothes, although worn out, were clean. The 'n' times of washing had loosened the threads. She was no more slender, maybe the lack of financial stability had also taken some pounds of her. A desperate need for money was evident on her face. She might have once been pretty, but now thin lines and dark circles marred the delicate face.

Exhaling deeply, he said, "Listen miss, it's now or never." His eyes sharp like a hawk's, to not miss a flicker of action.

Finally, need won the fight. He discerned a slight tremor passing through her hands, as she signed up for death.

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

The dense weeds did nothing to calm her fears. As she walked through the broken pathway, taking great care that the cobbled pathway's broken tiles didn't tear her only shoes. The last thing she needed was walking barefoot in this chilly weather. The overgrown weeds of the un-kept gardens kept brushing her ankles, infusing the cold and itch into a horrid blend. The thin thread bare stockings did nothing to prevent the cold from trying to freeze her bones.

Those gusts of heavy wind helped her skirts dance to the eerie tunes. Barely able to restrain the unruly dress anymore, she leaned onto a tree nearby, to prevent falling. The cool bark transmitted chills down her spine. She still had a long way to go. Her teeth chattered, as she shivered violently, maybe the temperature had suddenly dropped. She pulled her worn over coat closer to prevent the cold from seeping in.

After walking for quite some time through the pathways of the abandoned settlement, she noticed the dull blue sky had now turned into a palette of vermillion hues. The sun which had no signs of visibility was now leaving. Nowadays even the sun seemed to have started practicing truancy.

The once flourishing settlement was now in a state of decay and dilapidation. Cobwebs adorned the cottage walls, marking the dormancy through ages. The bricks of the wall looked like they might tumble down at a slight push.

Big, desolate houses with unkempt, weed ridden gardens, was the only thing her tired eyes caught. She wondered how long, until she reached the end of the settlement. She was sure she had walked for more than mere hours. She looked behind, and realized she didn't even know how much she had walked. The pale blue house was no longer visible.

She looked for another landmark, and that's when her eyes caught a house. A bit further down the lane. Something dragged her towards the house. A strange maleficent atmosphere cuddled the house cozily.