part fourteen

the next morning riley woke up with little recollection of what had happened the previous night

the next morning riley woke up with little recollection of what had happened the previous night. she had remembered bits and pieces but overall just felt like complete shit after she had rolled out of bed.

her hair was a mess; sweatpants and a t-shirt lied loosely on her body; and her dark purple under eye bags were perfectly accentuating her red and puffy eyes.

she lazily got dressed and walked down to the kitchen. after realizing no one was home, she decided to walk over to sarah's house.

"hey is sarah home?" riley asked the cameron's youngest daughter, wheezie, who had just opened up the front door for her.

"yeah i think i just saw her walk into my dad's office," the little girl replied and riley nodded her head before walking up the stairs.

riley knocked on the office door, quite confused why sarah would be in there. she heard some hushed whispering before the blonde girl cracked open the door and stuck her head out.

"hey, what are you doing here?" sarah forced an awkward smile at her best friend.

"uh hey," riley hesitantly replied, "thought i'd just come by. why are you in ward's office?"

"um," sarah bit her lip and turned her head to look back in the office. this gave riley the opportunity to stand on her toes and try and see who else was in the room.

"john b?" riley said immediately as she recognized the brunette boy sitting on the couch.

"riley?" he stood up, furrowing his brows.

sarah whipped her head back to the girl that was still standing outside of the door. riley had a large grin on her face and her eyes were wide as she looked at her best friend.

"so uh-"

"well," riley said, cutting off her friend. "i think i'm just gonna head home leave y'all too it."

"riley," sarah warned the girl.

riley brought her hand up to her lips, making a locking motion like she was turning a key and turned her back to the sarah with a smile still on her face.

x

"you're sure riley's okay?" jj asked kiara. the two of them plus pope were at the OBX movie series after kie had practically forced the boys to go.

"yes jj," the girl groaned. "can you stop asking me about her?"

"okay okay," jj muttered defensively, "sorry."

"like why are you acting like you care about her all of a sudden?" kiara asked.

"i'm not-"

"you know what i'm just gonna go get a drink, i'll be right back," she said before getting up from her seat.

jj just rolled his eye's as the brunette walked away. he didn't understand how kiara could act so caring towards her sister one moment and then just wake up and go back to hating her.

kiara arrived back with three drinks in her hand, handing one to pope and then the blonde. "just saw rafe, he said, and i quote tell your boy that we know what he did. what is that?"

pope's eyes went wide as he immediately turned to look at jj. "um where is he?" jj asked.

"right there," kiara, nodded behind them.

"great the whole death squad," pope groaned as he glanced over to rafe, topper, and kelce.

"jesus. don't stare bro!" jj grabbed the boy's head. "if they corner me i'm coming out swinging, okay? and if that doesn't work i got this right here." jj picked up his backpack and pope nodded.

"i'm sorry jj..." kie shook her head, "please tell me that you did not bring a gun here! there are kids!

"no! kie, i didn't bring the gun, all right? everything's fine, relax."

"wow, thank you," the girl deadpanned. "that's really convincing, i love that, jj." she frustratedly shook her head as the movie started.

about 45 minutes into the film the two boys got up from their chairs and began to walk away towards the trees.

"hey, where are y'all going?" kie asked.

"we gotta wring it out," jj replied, shrugging his shoulders.

"you gonna hold it for each other?" kie taunted before rolling her eyes and turning her attention back to the movie.

a few moments passed before the girl noticed that their pee break was taking way too long. she grabbed jj's bag and sighed before getting out of her seat and walking over to the woods.

sure enough the girl heard grunting and turned the corner to see her two friends, along with the three kooks that had been eyeing them earlier.

pope was wrestling with topper and jj was trying to fight off both kelce and rafe.

"let go of him topper! you fascist asshole!" kie yelled, swinging jj's backpack at topper's head.

jj's attention drifted to the girl for a moment which gave rafe the opportunity to land a clean punch against the blonde's jaw.

"this is for that little stunt you pulled with riley the other day," rafe grunted before swinging at his face again.

stumbling off of topper's back, kiara ran over to where she had left jj's backpack. she crawled over to the movie screen, using jj's lighter to catch it on fire.

the flames quickly engulfed the screen and kelce let go of the blonde as topper backed away from pope. "let's get outta here," rafe called after his boys.

"pope you okay?" kiara called after her friend who was lying on the ground, coughing. she then glanced over at the blonde who was clutching at his stomach and groaning. "shit, jj, your face."

"i'm fine," jj muttered.

"i'm dropping you at my place to get you cleaned up," kiara told the boy. "pope, i'll drive you home."

pope hasn't gotten any where near the beating that jj had. the dark skinned boy's face was only adorned with a few developing bruises.

"drive?" pope questioned. "i think you might kill us before we can even get to a destination."

"funny," kiara rolled her eyes, knowing all too well that her driving skills weren't exactly the best. "come on boys."